94 7.3 turbo runs rich under load need enlightenment

J.P.

Reaction score
Just acquired an 86 ford with a 94 7.3 turbo previous owner has been on oilburners before and someone suggested some type of injectors (i'm working on exactly what went in) for now my question is what types of injectors are there and what are their characteristics, I am in need of enlightenment

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have an 86 with a 94 engine in it? That's a PSD engine. The only injectors for that engine is the AA, as far as I know. Got a picture of that engine?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
There were also turbo Idi's in that year so post some pics so we can see which engine you have! If it's a 86 with a psd swap that would be cool!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a "94.5" powerstroke, or a 94 IDIT. Both are 7.3 L displacement fyi

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just acquired an 86 ford with a 94 7.3 turbo previous owner has been on oilburners before and someone suggested some type of injectors (i'm working on exactly what went in) for now my question is what types of injectors are there and what are their characteristics, I am in need of enlightenment
first...
welcome to the site;Sweet
second....
do yo know their username so we can get an idea of what has been done to the truck previously?
third.....
stupid question. have you run the truck without the air cleaner to make sure the air filter is not at fault?

J.P.

Reaction score
Just taking a break and checking messages the engine is a harvester/ navistar i will try running withhout the air filter (not a stupid question, Im learnig) and I think it may have BB injecters I will get more info and usermane this evening Thanks everybody

J.P.

Reaction score
Ok ecvpaul is his user name and I looked at what he posted, he installed new injectors type BB and the shop that rebuilt the pump came down and set the timing as well as turned the pump down, it smokes less now, little on the flats and pulling a grade, lets just say you can still see cars behind you where before it was putting out a smoke screen. I have had a chance to look at a couple of other engines to see what differences there are and so far this is set up with a road tube,(I think), from the front of the motor below the oil fill, it did have a blow-by hose ran to the exhaust but others thought it was better to let it drip, I did notice that that the valve cover port is capped off and the inlet port on the air intake and on the manifold are plugged Why? and what is the advantage of this. Also what is the pod looking thing that the breather hose plugs into actually called and what does it do and should I put this back in operation? OK guys have fun with this one, I appreciate the help

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you can't or won't post a pic of the engine, here goes.

It evidently has a Banks turbo.
The "pod" under the oil fill is the CC breather, but the hose is normally routed back to the turbo air inlet.

The valley pan hole thats blocked off was where the CDR was before the turbo was added. That hole is normally used for the turbo oil return if it's a Banks turbo. Pix #1 CDR

The valve cover port that is capped off, could have been used for the CC breather hose.

The hose for the "road drip" that was into the exhaust is now the CC breather, there should be a "nipple" of some sort welded into the exhaust where it would have went, to act as a venturi to suck the CC.

Will this help? I had fun.

Attachments

• DVC01409.JPG
    DVC01409.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 34

J.P.

Reaction score
I will get you a pic or 2 , keep in mind that its a van and the pics you get will be 1/2 from the front and 1/2 from the back and its a pain in the A to get the cowl off The CC breather that was in the exhaust seemed to put pressure back into the engine instead of pull it out so i will investigate further it may not be plumbed right. I believe that the Turbo is ATS ? would there be any reason not to put the CC back into a CDR on th air intake and what does CDR stand for Thanks again

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I will get you a pic or 2 , keep in mind that its a van and the pics you get will be 1/2 from the front and 1/2 from the back and its a pain in the A to get the cowl off The CC breather that was in the exhaust seemed to put pressure back into the engine instead of pull it out so i will investigate further it may not be plumbed right. I believe that the Turbo is ATS ? would there be any reason not to put the CC back into a CDR on th air intake and what does CDR stand for Thanks again

CDR = Crankcase Depression Regulator

J.P.

Reaction score
OK OK the pics of the engine are posted, among other things I'm running a r/t and when I can get a CDR I will try it put back together. I believe ECVPaul purchased the engine from Dragrag to whom I sent a message. so for now on to other things, like I ordered a boost gauge now I need to know where to hook it up the Turbo is ATS as seen in the pics and as far as the running rich under load I'm think, 1 to have the timing checked again so I know where it is and have the pump pressure checked to see where it is, so I have a good starting point, also can some one direct me on where to get info on the turbo, does it have a waste gate? is it adjustable etc? Oh and FYI the rig is a 1985 Ford Jayco Mini 25 E-350 with this 1994 IDI 7.3 with ATS turbo Thanks again for your help

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thing is there is really not such o thing as a diesel running lean or rich, they dont mix the fuel and air, a diesel takes a full charge of air everystroke, and the amount of fuel injected into the cyl per stroke is what controls engine speed,

The smoke your seeing is fine diesels smoke, do you have a pyro?? if the pyro is reading pretty normal dont worry about it, it probly just has the pump turned up

DragRag

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken the engine started life as a 1994 IDI non-turbo that came in an ambulance that was used as a contractors work truck. I am not 100% sure at this point, waiting to hear from the poster. The turbo would have been added later to it if I am right on this, it didn't have one when it left here. If I am wrong I will need to figure out what it came from if the engine did indeed come from me, which I am not sure of either. I will wait to here from you.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Thing is there is really not such o thing as a diesel running lean or rich, they dont mix the fuel and air, a diesel takes a full charge of air everystroke, and the amount of fuel injected into the cyl per stroke is what controls engine speed,

The smoke your seeing is fine diesels smoke, do you have a pyro?? if the pyro is reading pretty normal dont worry about it, it probly just has the pump turned up

when theres black smoke, coming out the tailpipe--thats RICH running--unburnt fuel--waste---see 6.0's smoke??? how about the 6.4's???? how about even new semi tractors??? SMOKE is waste fuel!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance