92 f350 low governoer speed---help!!!!

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 92 f-350 crew cab long bed 4x4 7.3 idi non turbo. You guys appear to be very knowledgable about these vehicles from all that I have read on here. I would greatly appreciate any insight you could give me on an issue that this truck has. The truck has had injectors and a pump put on it before I bought it.....no idea when these were installed. the truck itself has 130,000 on it. The tach is the typical ford tach the yellows at 3400 and reds at 4000, but the truck completely flattens out at 27-2800. Pulls great until then. I have seen on the net where there appears to be two different pumps for these trucks one being governed for 2750, and one for 3400, my question is what do I do to regain the lost rpm's without buying a different pump? Not that I intend on twisting the truck that high all of the time, but the gearing it has would certainly make it more useful if I could occasionally. I should mention that the truck is straight piped, with only a glasspack(3") and the factory tailpipe(with the screens in it) has been replaced, the air cleaner lid has been modified for more flow. so it's not an airflow issue that's causing the limit. thanks for any response. This is the first idi I've owned. I'll be glad for any information you could pass along. I've searched many sites, but nobody really has the definitve answer. thanks in advance

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try turning up the fuel,but you need to have a pyro gauge before you do that. the pump that was put on new or used?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the IH pump, then you have the one that limits at 2750. You get the fuel deliverd earlier at lower RPMs and they are governed low because these 6.9/7.3 motors were often run hard against that governor all day long. If you have that pump you need to swap it out or live with the low RPMs, I don't see anyway it would hurt anything, and the difference in top end speed may or may not be substantial. My rebuilt pump redlines somewhere above 3400 RPM, I haave the 4.10s and C6 so I limit out around 82 with the Ford pump. I had the 2750 RPM pump in for awhile and I would see just over 71 when I would stand on it. If you have a 93 and O/D I would almost think of this as an advantage. I bet you could get the #s off the pump and call a fuel injection shop like Diesel Injection Service or MWFI and confirm if you have that or a defective pump of some sort.
J.D.