92 Automatic Stalls when put into gear

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing in the morning my 92 will start fine and then stall after a few seconds of running, then start fine but takes a little throttle to keep running. It will also stall when put into gear when cold after starting.

New Fuel Filter, New Injector on the passenger side. IP and the other 7 injectors have less then 40,000mi on them.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check for air leaks. A good place to start would be the return caps, particularly on the injector that was replaced. Make sure the cap is seated all the way.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've seen gasses stall a lot when put into gear. Especially reverse. But it's usually a vacuum leak.
Won't have that problem on a diesel though.
As stated above, return caps are a good start.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the FIPL code I'm getting cause the truck to stall? Only when first started, let the truck idle for 45 seconds before it goes into gear and It's all good. It also only does it when the truck has been sitting and cooled off, never when i shut down and start up within an hour.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the Return Lines, where should I start looking to track down the air intrusion? Do I need to start from the tanks and go forward, or can I narrow it down and start from the lift pump or Filter head and go forward from there

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the high idle solenoid is working properly too. While I agree that the fire up and stalling sounds like air intrusion, the stalling when first put in gear while cold could be the engine idling at normal idle speed before it's warmed up. Some trucks need the high idle to keep it from stalling when put in gear, or when you slow down to the first stop sign of the morning.