911: Help

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got back to Kansas City after spending the holidays back at home and i went to start the truck and a number of wierd things happened. First the Tach just started going up and is now pegged at 4500RPMS and also the wait to start light never kicked off and the lights dimmed till I stopped it. The truck ran great when I parked it a couple weeks ago and it has been inside a garage the whole time. When I tried to just crank it over nothing it clicked once and that was it. The only thing i can think of is I just did the headlight relay mod on the truck, maybe that drained the battery all the way? I gotta get back home tonight so I can drive to work tomorrow morning. Thanks for everything guys!

Chris

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the truck is currently on the charger, the batteries appear to be low. But that still doesnt explain the odd techometer reaction.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Check your grounds, especially the ones to the cab. They can cause your gages to do funny things trying to find an alternate ground. You should have several grounding straps around the frame to cab to engine and such.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
ya when i blew the ign fuse that runs the ip my glow plugs stayed on and ive had the tach do some funny stuff too

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the charger says my batteries are at 75%, so that certainly is helping my case. Where does the IGN fues hide out?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Chris, it may just be low batteries.
Ign fuse on the 85 should be a 30 amp in the fuse block under the dash but I don't think it is going to be bad. If the batteries were low and you just tasked them with lighting off the glow plugs, it may very well act just as you described.
Give em a good charge and she what she does then.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ron, that makes me feel better.

93 - ill take a look at that fuse.

Finally can i charge both batteries at the same time?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright the truck lit off and is running good. Only problem now is the tach is still stuck at 4500RPMs and I have no idea what to do to fix it?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A battery with an internal problem will cause some strange issues also, had it happen on our car once.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
start cleaning all your grounds. that is the culprit. I believe there is a thread on the ground modification.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Alright the truck lit off and is running good. Only problem now is the tach is still stuck at 4500RPMs and I have no idea what to do to fix it?

Did ya give it a good luv tap yet? Maybe it got stuck when it pegged out.:dunno

If not I'd pull the cluster to start with and see if it's getting fed voltage it shouldn't have.