90 7.3 starting issue

wrapllc

Reaction score
Had a mechanic put in new injector pump. (I bought the pump and was going to install it but didn't want to tow in a bunch of parts to him.) Ran fine for the first time or two I drove the truck. Then after a 20 minute drive and an hour setting it wouldn't start. Cranked and Cranked but seemed like no fuel. After 10 minutes of cranking and some starter fluid it finally cranked and I got home. Drove it maybe 2 more times, one of which I just barely got it started again. I had fuel leaking from an o ring on the return fuel line but have since resealed that. Leaked probably a pint or two of diesel onto the manifold and the ground.

had somebody jump me to try it again and it would only start after 10 or 15 seconds of wd 40, but would only run for a couple of seconds, I assume til the wd 40 was gone. Should I bleed the fuel lines at the injectors like I have read? It just doesn't seem like it is getting any fuel. Thanks for any thoughts.

wrapllc

Reaction score
Just the complete return line assembly on top. The mechanic either fowled up when he installed the pump, or the TPS sensor just wore out, that goes to the transmission for correct shifting rpm. Replaced that and the truck is back shifting normal. He did the return line and seals before elk huntin last year and I limped along with the injector pump to huntin and back. Ran fine as long as you didn't try to start it, especially when it was 10 degrees outside. Did the pump about 2 months ago.I think he replaced some or all of the glow plugs with return line work, I had replaced them the year before. I don't drive the truck but a half dozen times a year, the one long trip per year is 1600 miles round trip huntin. Bought the truck in 1996 with 60,000 and I just turned 120,000 miles on it. still in good shape. thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online

No members online now.