88 idi to 88 psd

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I have a 88 7.3 idi with a zf5 trans. Wanting to drop in a 7.3 DI from a 95-97 psd with its harness and stuff.

I'm assuming the zf5 I have is a direct swap to the psd even tho there are two versions of the zf5 and has anyone tried the newer cluster in the old dash yet?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Jon, you're just prejudiced because yours gave you problems. :p

Anyway, talk to cbarm. He has an 88 or 89 with a powerstroke swapped into it.

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I just wanted the extra power. Do as min as possible. Drop a DI in and chip it an call it good. Body is decent and the trans is good. Just a fun project is all I see. Fun truck.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you HAVE to use a PSD dash? I understand the ECM on the PSD has to have the correct signals for mph, engine temp, oil pressure, etc.
I don't see why you couldn't just use mechanical gauges. Even a mechanical speedometer driven off of the transfer case; as long as the ECM sees the signal off of the speed sensor in the rear differential.
As long as the correct sensors are in place, what else makes the factory dash a necessity?

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
If I could get away with using the existing dash and the psd cluster, I would do that.

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
Di psd has an internal regulator where as
Mine is external. I planned to update all the wiring under the good or most
Of it

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
More i think on it. It's either take the time to wire in the computers into the 88 harnesses or find a wrecked truck or junk yard and pull most of the wiring out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, but that's what other people have said that have done the swaps.

Might be more to it than that though.
Just search Google for 7.3 PSD bronco swap.

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I think the other reason on replacing the engine bay wiring is cause I haven't been able to solve the low voltage issue. Many regulators and some alts later with old grounds and extras doesn't solve the issue.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yeah that's why! within a month I was about $4000 deep into the stroker! the IDI dually.... just an oil change and a grease job! ;Sweet wouldn't it be easier to buy a PSD truck and swap the '88 clip? cookoo

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
You don't actually have to use the PSD dash, no. There's only a few select wires you need for it to run. Power to the ECM, IDM, and alternator dummy light are the ones I can remember. But the alternator needs that wire because it's an electro-magnetic style and won't "turn on" to charge the system without that light being in there.

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah if you shop around you can get a good deal on a PSD truck. I got mine for $2800 and put the D60 from my '91 in it.

I might as well just buy another 6.0 working or with a blown engine to rebuild. lol. I was just talking about for a project to have for the sake of a project.