'83 300D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can find a 240D 4 speed for a parts donor car, swapping to a manual is fairly straightforward. You'll need the transmission ;) along with the shift linkage, hydraulic setup, clutch assembly including flywheel, and you might need the driveshaft as well (don't remember for certain).

The slushboxes are decent transmissions on these cars; just, if you decide to rebuild the one in there, make sure you find a shop that knows M-B's, and don't skimp. A friend of mine bought a "good used" automatic for an '81 300SD, and ended up regretting it...the transmission leaked like a sieve and, other than the torque converter being in better shape, it wasn't really any better than the one that came out.

Depending on what shape the front suspension's in, that might not be a bad deal..however, keep in mind the adage "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" :shocked: At the same time, I ran cheap M-B's for 9 years and had very good luck with them ;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I'll pass on it.
Gonna buy the brand new tires from my brother off his 93 f350, that's blown up twice.
Cooper discoverer a/t's.
Plus his radio, and stacks that I may eventually throw on.

But it he still has it for awhile (which I doubt) I'll reconsider.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
you actually have to shorten the front half of the driveshaft and not many shops will shorten and balance a mbz driveshaft.

you also have to shorten the shift linkage too. since ive owned several mbz i know that the 300d euro spec flywheel is bigger than a 240d flywheel. they will work but they dont hold revs as well on long hills. helps in acceleration.

If you can find a 240D 4 speed for a parts donor car, swapping to a manual is fairly straightforward. You'll need the transmission ;) along with the shift linkage, hydraulic setup, clutch assembly including flywheel, and you might need the driveshaft as well (don't remember for certain).

The slushboxes are decent transmissions on these cars; just, if you decide to rebuild the one in there, make sure you find a shop that knows M-B's, and don't skimp. A friend of mine bought a "good used" automatic for an '81 300SD, and ended up regretting it...the transmission leaked like a sieve and, other than the torque converter being in better shape, it wasn't really any better than the one that came out.

Depending on what shape the front suspension's in, that might not be a bad deal..however, keep in mind the adage "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" :shocked: At the same time, I ran cheap M-B's for 9 years and had very good luck with them ;Sweet