'80's sm 4 cyl *** diesels in American rigs

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeezs, it's lonely over here....no posts.

I'm lookin for the above. Were in chevettes, Pup, Luv, Corrier others. Would like to re-power my lill' rig w/one.

Any info on locating is helpful.

*500 - 700 lbs, 2.2 - 3.3/3.2, 80/90 hp, non-computer controlled, line pump so U could "turn them up" not sure on tq needed - 200ft.lb? (Nissan/Isussu/Perkins)
Chad
[email protected]
Amherst, MA
* BTW: any info on similar motor ALSO very HELPFUL. (VW a little too sm, computer scares me :dunno ). TIA

Last edited:

magusjinx

Reaction score
Just thought I would give this a bump and a tidbit ... My 2nd wife gave me a little Ram50 That had a Mitsubishi NA diesel in it ... Was a nice little rig till a friggin' cheerleader came bombing out of a church parking lot with her new Jetta and broadsided me ...

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I thought LB wuz in Cal)
Thanks for your post.
Nice lill' rig. I didn't know they had a diesel. o0OPPs - I wuz thinkin of the Rampage. The REAL lill rig (remember?). It reminds me of my favorite all time: early 60's Ranchero!
Anyway, the Ram50 was a nice idea (esp w/ that motor). I think it was a high 2 liter, no?
I have since re-thought the displacement idea and am now thinkin the 2.2 - 3.2 to be a little underpowered. However I can not ID a 3 - 3.5L for my '70 Bronco. Uncertian on HP/Tq to shoot for. Just been lookin @ displacement and weight of other rigs out there for guess ta mates. DO NOT need a 4BT (weight issue) which is 4.0 from a back hoe! Altho some use em in this vehicle.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those diesel Chitvettes were fun! And the regular ones were nearly bulletproof, if you don't consider rust...

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres an example that would do everything your asking it to: the Isuzu 4JB1T
http://www.diesel-engine.cn/ISUZU/4JB1T.htm
Not exactly easy to find in the great old USA.
The 4BT 3.9l is the one that gets used because it is available and has the power to satisfy . Yes suspension upgrades may be called for but there are people that have this swap and may be able to help you along.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?14147-1979-Bronco-4BT-on-the-road&highlight=bronco
All those Japanese 4cyl diesels brought over during the eighties in small cars and trucks powered a vehical that was between 2 and 3 thousand pounds,and they were known to be underpowered by the average driver. I will take a guess that your bronco is heavier than these.
Maybe there is a 4 or 5 or 6 cylinder Mercedes motor to fit your bill from the eighties mostly the 5 cylinder turbo from 84 - 85.
good luck
nate

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the 4bt is a good swap because they are bullet proof and can make enough power to move a larger rig. I don't know about the MB engines, neighbor has a non-turbo 4 cyl (?) and says it's slug to accelerate but flys on the open road. I think another good choice would be a GM 6.5 if it'd fit. They have a bad reputation, but I think that mostly stems from people trying to work them too hard. I really think those engines would last if you were just using it to drive around and not tow/work it. Is your EB stock or modified? What are you going to end up doing with it? Pavement pounder, or serious off-road?
Travis..

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT need a 4BT (weight issue) which is 4.0 from a back hoe! Altho some use em in this vehicle.

Guy local to me rocks a 4bt ******** in his EB, well balanced, decent mpg.

Couple of 4bt swaps into EB's on www.4btswap.com

I would do it.. that or the Suzee copy cat, the 4bd1t... smoother and overall better powerplant IMHFO...

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

"...the Suzee copy cat, the 4bd1t..."
what's that? lighter? wonder bout fitment issues w/the bronk... I only need high 2 Lt to mid 3L as I understand the diesel (I'm from the gasser world).

"...What are you going to end up doing with it? Pavement pounder, or serious off-road?..."
Neither. I work the lill bob tail in the woods and swamps skidin small saw logs up the hill to the sawyer, some backin up long uncompleted drives delivering offa trailer to private home construction sights... So may be 30% on / 70% off road. Twice a yr. go up the mountain for a beer at sunset...

I'd like to stay away from the computers and turbos, a line pump would be good so I could adjust it up and down to locate what's required (but set-it-&-forget-it once dialed in).

Some suggest the 6 cyl in the scout II but that seems tough to install in the EB (hood clearance & move radiator or fire wall). Any 1 have dimensions? Availability may just eliminate it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle