70s F-600/700 brake drums

whd507

Reaction score
I want to convert my 6-bolt F-600 into a 10-bolt F-700.

I looked at the parts book, and Hydraulic brakes F-700s have teh same three sizes of brakes same bearings and seals.

I have also been told that the two axles are teh same and only a brake drum swap stands in my way.

but I cant find drums anywhere.

ford wants part numbers, and everybody else tells me to go to ford.

can anybody help? I think mine are 13x4 in front, and 13x5 in rear (I think)

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first place I'd be going is the local truck slavage yards. There's got to be dozens of them at each yard. Easily identifed by just looking at the # of lugs.

If you don't mind me asking: Why the switch?

Copper

Reaction score
Whoops, answered you over at the other place before I saw this'n:D . Offer stands, though. It should be a pile cheaper than going through Ford, too.

Copper

Reaction score
Okay, if you go to http://www.webbwheel.com/ and dig around a little, they've got a .pdf of their catalog - but it's 84 pages, and I'm on dialup.:eek: LOL It should give you all the measurements you have to take, and give you a Webb part #. I'd bet your IH dealer either is a Webb dealer, or can cross the number. Good luck, let us know how it works out!

whd507

Reaction score
thanks for the link, I'll keep that for reference when I get ford parts numbers.

I want 10-bolt rims to make it easier and cheaper to get rims and tires, plus I can put taller tires to help overcome the 6:17 gears out back,

Alcoa 22.5/24.5s are cheaper than 6-bolt steelies as well.

[edit] not having any luck so far with P/N's

if anybody has a 70's F-700 with hydraulic brakes, and 10-bolt rims, 15x4 and 15x5 drums, please shoot me a part number...:(

Last edited:

Copper

Reaction score
They give about 10 different dimensions for the brake drums, you can actually figure what drums you need without a part number, if you have the hubs mounted on the truck.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice goin' Copper! Good info!!! :)

whd507

Reaction score
I have a set of HD F-7000 axles, but they have air brakes. I wonder if they can be converted to Hydraulic?

I actually have all the stuff to convert to airbrakes, but that seems too hard...

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The 6 bolt wheels usually run max 9.00R-20 tire most common tire was the 8.25-20.

Ford did do some goofy things with their brakes especially that rotten lucas girling braking system.

I would prolly want to get rid of those speed killing low gears by finding a different rear end. Converting the truck to air brakes would be a major but you sure would improve the braking power.

One problem you may run into is the newer hubs that run hub pilot wheels may not fit your axles. I'am pretty sure all the newer aluminum wheels are hub pilot.

whd507

Reaction score
I'm going to disasemble the other axles, to see if teh hubs will work but they appear to be 16 inch, and much wider. the rear drums have a rockwell logo on them.

both trucks have rockwell rear axles.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about hydraulic disc brakes?

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
If they are both 21,000lb Rockwell the hubs should be the same you may have axle shaft problems thou depending on the spline count.

The front axle will be another story you may have to find a front axle that runs juice brakes and 10 bolt wheels to bolt in the truck.

As for pulling the stuff apart make sure you have a good powerfull impact wrench to separate the drums from the hub. A cutting torch helps to heat up or cut off the bolts.

You should have the proper socket for taking the axle nuts off if you don't already. What drives me nuts is when I pull the axle shafts out and see someone has chewed the h*ll out of the nut/s.

You should also have a seal driver or a good brass drift with a blunt end to install the new wheel seals.

Pulling the hubs and wheels off and putting them on you leave the duals assembled and use a piece of greasy sheet metal under the duals to slide the wheels/hub/drum off the spindle.

At the shop I work at they have a wheel dolly its meant for pulling wheel assemblys works like a cats *** you can adjust the tilt and lift so the assembly comes off square. When installing the assembly it works good you save the chance of ripping the new wheel seal you just installed which costs 25 dollars.

You maybe able to rent one it will save you hours of headaches and a trip to the chiropractor.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, isn't that the truth.....

Best mechanic I know is permanently disabled from losing a 24.5 truck wheel & tire assembly.

He uses a tire dolly now, that's for sure!!!

whd507

Reaction score
I'm going hunting today for axles after work. if I can get two complete axle assemblies, I'll be ahead I think.

I wonder if later years rear axles will bolt up? I'm assuming that 68-79 is it for front axles from what I'm told.