7.3 turbo engine debate

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 factory turbo engine that is going to take the place of my 6.9. The 7.3 has about 230k on it, It was a Daily driver until the day he pulled it out to swap in a PowerStroke. To be honest it ran better than my 6.9. Financially I don’t want to rebuild an engine right now as I’m in a transitional part of my life LOL. I’m debating just going through it and doing all the gaskets and installing head studs then just swapping it into my truck. I’d check the bearings and everything when I have the pan off but this thing, so far, is in really damn good shape. I wish I did this before I put all the money and effort into my 6.9 4 years ago

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How about this? Tear the heads off before you make any decisions about what you're going to do. I perfectly understand not wanting to do a complete rebuild right now. If the cylinders are fine, then the gaskets would be the thing to do. Yes, inspect the main and rod bearings. If those look good, then I would reuse them. Also if those are good, I assume that the cam bearings are also in good shape.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about this? Tear the heads off before you make any decisions about what you're going to do. I perfectly understand not wanting to do a complete rebuild right now. If the cylinders are fine, then the gaskets would be the thing to do. Yes, inspect the main and rod bearings. If those look good, then I would reuse them. Also if those are good, I assume that the cam bearings are also in good shape.
I think this is exactly what I’ll do.

Finn

Reaction score
Head studs are something of an Internet, and previously magazine fairy tale.

They really don’t do anything other than lighten your wallet and make servicing the engine more difficult.

This comes from someone that was involved in head gasket qualification for thirty five years.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part where you tout 35 years of experience and broadly discredit head studs as a fairy tale.

how many IDIs have you serviced with head studs cause I don’t agree with that either.

He has 10 posts, starting in May? of 2019. Every post has basically said "you're doing it wrong". He never provides any data, just "I know because I have experience".

I'm perfectly happy to change my thinking based on data, but not on hearsay.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 7.3 factory turbo. Have put 75 k on it never have had a headgsaket problem. IMO unless you are trying for a lot of boost and power , stock is fine. If one was pulling heads checking bearing and all I would think about reringing if cyls are good,

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head studs are something of an Internet, and previously magazine fairy tale.

Then way did the 6.9 I get come with one broken bolt and another found after sitting around 7 year? That brought me to the conclusion that the 7/16in bolts are not adequate for this engine, so have studs torqued to 110lb. On a stock 7.3 the 1/2in could do fine since will torque to 110lb, past stock boost I would opt for studs on this as well.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea factory is fine of course because that is what it was designed for. But if I have the heads off it’s getting studded. And Laine D is a young gun, once he gets that career job money he’s gonna be posting a big turbo and a 200cc pump.
Oh man don’t get me started LOL

Finn

Reaction score
He has 10 posts, starting in May? of 2019. Every post has basically said "you're doing it wrong". He never provides any data, just "I know because I have experience".

I'm perfectly happy to change my thinking based on data, but not on hearsay.
I guess an accumulated total of over 12 million hours of dynamometer Engine Development time under my watch doesn’t count fo much.

Plus supplier work and field test.

What’s your credentials? How many hours have you spent with FelPro or Dana Victor in your office developing head gaskets?

Or did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?