7.3 idi running like an old tractor PLEASE HELP!!!!

93_idi_Turbo

Reaction score
thanks guys the truck has about 168, 930 miles on it so im hoping that it's only the pump and nothing serious

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm with the above.

On a side note, I was just reading your signature and had a question.... How and why do you want dual 4 inch straighpipes???

93_idi_Turbo

Reaction score
i tried firing the truck today and thought that maybe it's my lift pump that might have failed any thoughts on this?

93_idi_Turbo

Reaction score
Ok I replaced the lift pump and it still wont fire there is fuel pumping out of the IP and i'm gonna change my injector return lines cause I think they might be letting air in. im also doing a compression test does anyone know what I should be running for psi?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
oh good lord another guy who asks opinions and ignores them, there are tests to be performed before you just start replacing **** randomly. leaking return lines will not cause a no fire when warm but rather it should start better warm than cold. not sure on compression numbers. search google for intellidog and his site has fuel pressure and volume specs to test lift pump. The only thing I know of that will cause the issues you are speaking of is a worn or trashed ip or maybe timing. If these issues did not occur just after an ip replacement or major timing adjustment we have almost certainly eliminated timing.

while I am replacing the ip I would get those dps ******* out of there or at least have them tested for spray pattern and pressure. pattern should have fine atomization and pressure should be approx 1850 with all injectors being within about 5% of each other.

Lastly since no one has jumped you about it yet, I will. Rolling coal is not cool and will not net you anything but lower mileage, carbon buildup, and adding a bad name and further emissions standards to diesel vehicles. Honestly I can roll more coal than most on here with the ip up 4 flats and being na but my truck rarely ever spits any noticeable smoke because I have found personally it does nothing for me.

93_idi_Turbo

Reaction score
ok gimme a break here it's not like i hold my foot to the floor all the time just to see smoke but i like to see it sometimes. and i'm not ignoring oppinions and advice i would have needed a new lift pump soon anyway since mine was beginning to leak and had almost 300, 000 km on it. and i'm only 16 trying to learn about diesel mechanics and get my truck going on virtually no budget. i've always loved diesel trucks since my dad bought an 85 chevy half ton with the 6.2 diesel in it im not one of those teenagers who bought a diesel just to smoke and **** people off, so leave me a little breathing room here i'm new at this ok/.

93_idi_Turbo

Reaction score
well i did a fuel pressure test that showed up good so i got a compression guage from a buddy of mine and it was a little low so i broke down a pulled the heads and found metal shavings in the cylinders. when i pulled the turbo i found the problem, the oil line was leaking on the top of the turbo ran the bearing dry and blew it up so i'm doing a motor swap in spring if anyone has any advice on the swap it would be welcome thanks for all the help i have learned alot because of this experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle