7.3 idi rough start white smoke puffing out between shifts

Matt0608

Reaction score
Alright so I’m just trying to figure out what my issue is considering the fact I’m a good ways from home. Some info on the truck before I get into the issues are, it’s a 4wd 93 7.3 idi n/a with an e4od trans. Extended cab long bed xlt. So the issue I’m having is that this morning when my father and I got out of the woods, we started up the truck to switch spots and the truck started up really rough, and puffing out some white smoke, and ran like that for about a minute or so. We go to pull out onto the road, and lay into the throttle cause it’s a 55 mph road, and it just puffs out a ton of white smoke between shifts. I’m not sure what it could be, I really appreciate it if someone out there has an idea of what’s wrong, Hope I explained it well enough for ya. Thanks in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I’m just trying to figure out what my issue is considering the fact I’m a good ways from home. Some info on the truck before I get into the issues are, it’s a 4wd 93 7.3 idi n/a with an e4od trans. Extended cab long bed xlt. So the issue I’m having is that this morning when my father and I got out of the woods, we started up the truck to switch spots and the truck started up really rough, and puffing out some white smoke, and ran like that for about a minute or so. We go to pull out onto the road, and lay into the throttle cause it’s a 55 mph road, and it just puffs out a ton of white smoke between shifts. I’m not sure what it could be, I really appreciate it if someone out there has an idea of what’s wrong, Hope I explained it well enough for ya. Thanks in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EGR cooler!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of your injectors is stuck and its unburned fuel also

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RetiringColt

Reaction score
Did it quit smoking after it warmed up? If so I would suspect a failing glow plug. there pretty easy to check with a dvom or even a test light on the n/a engines. if one is bad I suggest replacing them all. everybody here recommends installing the factory ford glow plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online