7.3 IDI replacement dipstick tube -E-350 van

jamesk

Reaction score
Anybody ever made a replacement dipstick tube for a 7.3 IDI from a van? When I picked my van up, the dipstick was stuck in the tube and someone had broken off the handle. Got the old tube out and managed to get the old broken dipstick out of it but a new dipstick binds up in the tube which is probably why the old one broke off in there in the first place. Ford discontinued the part and I've been calling around to junkyards and nobody's got one. Thinking about making one from tube stock and welding the mounting tab on from the old one. Anybody done it?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You're talking engine oil dipstick I'm guessing? They just bind in general because it's so insanely long on vans. You have to baby it with both hands, pulling and pushing until it goes in without much force. My dipstick is twisted part way down from a past owner twisting it trying to force it, I'm guessing.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Maybe just get another transmission dipstick and cut it to the proper length. The tranny ones are much thinner and will probably not bind up as easily.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance