7.3 IDI intake heater...this weekends project

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That intake looks exactly like a Hypermax intake. They are still available through Hypermax. The stock air filter housing fits.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the stock air filter still works, this one has CTS cast into it, it might be the same as a hypermax though i have never seen one

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love this way of thinking! It's different and just someone wanting to improve their truck.

Now THIS! Is innovative! Just the act of trying to improve the way things work, that's how we find ways to improve our trucks. Good luck!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perkins uses an intake heater that blows a small flame to warm up the intake. I thought about one of these until I seen how much oil and crap is inside my intake... Probably wouldn't be the best idea.

My grandfather was an equipment operator in the strip mines most of his life and I remember him telling me in the winter they would let corn cobs soak in diesel all night. Come morning he would shove one in the intake and light it on fire. About the time you got the pony motor running the cob would almost be out so you started to turn over the big engine and it would suck in the smoke. Then the beast would come alive.

The cob would get that big intake warm enough to start those old brutes. Always found that neat

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perkins uses an intake heater that blows a small flame to warm up the intake. I thought about one of these until I seen how much oil and crap is inside my intake... Probably wouldn't be the best idea.

My grandfather was an equipment operator in the strip mines most of his life and I remember him telling me in the winter they would let corn cobs soak in diesel all night. Come morning he would shove one in the intake and light it on fire. About the time you got the pony motor running the cob would almost be out so you started to turn over the big engine and it would suck in the smoke. Then the beast would come alive.

The cob would get that big intake warm enough to start those old brutes. Always found that neat

Now that is cool. I plan to experiment with the Perkins diesel fired intake heater on my 6bt. I'll still have the grid heaters as backup. But they draw very little electricity, so I can save the batteries for cranking the engine over.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it all together this morning, -36c with no wind and the truck hadn't been plugged all night. I cycled the intake heater for 15 seconds and turned the key and pressed the starter button right away so the glows didn't have time to cycle and the truck fired up in 3 cranks....id say that is a huge success!!;Sweet;Really

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put it all together this morning, -36c with no wind and the truck hadn't been plugged all night. I cycled the intake heater for 15 seconds and turned the key and pressed the starter button right away so the glows didn't have time to cycle and the truck fired up in 3 cranks....id say that is a huge success!!;Sweet;Really
That is awesome!!! ;Sweet

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score

So what your saying is that this kit you made practically negates the use of glow plugs. Is that what im understanding?

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still going to use my glowplugs like they were designed to be used i just wanted to test my intake heater really well by not using the glowplugs. It does work very well for something so simple and easy to do im very happy.