7.3 idi electric fuel pump problems and questions

True IDI Blue

Reaction score
My electric fuel pump just faded to nothing and I am asking for help. The truck has both an electrical fuel pump and a Manuel pump on the block and I have replaced the Manuel pump already and I need to know what fuel pressure should the electric pump make and what pressure does the lift pump make? Also is the electric pump part of the fuel tank selection valve and can it be rebuilt and if not can one similar be purchased? One more question; is air dog a good solution?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Man those Air Dog guys must have good advertising LOL!
Really not applicable to the 6.9-7.3 IDI except a full on performance build. And then there are other choices. Back to your original problem... Is your truck stock or modded? Most people have either an electric fuel pump or manual. Whatever electric you have on there was added, most likely because the truck was loosing fuel system prime and the electric helped it prime. Most likely your fuel issues are clogged lines due to disentrating fuel suction bell screens.

True IDI Blue

Reaction score
My system must have been modified by the previous owner and this being my first idi my ignorance is evident. The fuel system from tank forward consist of frame mount tank selectee switch, a electric fuel pump with a fuel water separator, and a block lift pump.

True IDI Blue

Reaction score
Just a note: I took my bed off and replaced my in tank fuel lines and replaced my main fuel lines.

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 84 I removed both tanks and the selector valve. I then installed a 38gallon rear tank with new lines. No side tank. I installed a dura-lift pump the other day. I made a bracket to mount the pump off the bracket for the factory filter housing. I eliminated the factory filter as the dura lift pump has a bilt in 60micron filter. I have removed the factory manual pump and blocked it off. Now i no longer have fuel issue.

Well almost none. Now to replace the ip. I've only had it about a week but highly reccomend the dura-lift pump!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 84 I removed both tanks and the selector valve. I then installed a 38gallon rear tank with new lines. No side tank. I installed a dura-lift pump the other day. I made a bracket to mount the pump off the bracket for the factory filter housing. I eliminated the factory filter as the dura lift pump has a bilt in 60micron filter. I have removed the factory manual pump and blocked it off. Now i no longer have fuel issue.

Well almost none. Now to replace the ip. I've only had it about a week but highly reccomend the dura-lift pump!
You need better filtration than 60 micron for a diesel injection system, you would be best off adding another filter after the pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.