7.3 engine to bell housing diameter needed

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an engine sitting on the floor where they can measure the diameter of where the bell housing bolts to the block?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Yeah let me go outside real quick...

OK, assuming the bellhousing is symmetrical...
(if not, I measure to the driver's side)
Measured from the input shaft to the center of the bolt holes.
1.) Lower bolt - 8.75"
2.) Middle bolt - 8.875"
3.) Upper bolt - 10.875"

0.875" = 7/8"

:draw
Der ya go, let me know if you need anything else before I install my tranny tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the bellhousing does not bolt to the motor. The SAE adapter bolts to the motor, and the transmission bolts to the adapter. So the motor pattern and the bellhousing pattern are different.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
Keep in mind that the bellhousing does not bolt to the motor. The SAE adapter bolts to the motor, and the transmission bolts to the adapter. So the motor pattern and the bellhousing pattern are
different.

Yep, I do realize that. What has me confused however is a reply to my earlier post mentioned SAE #1 for the 7.3 bolted to a AT545 Allison. My information on the AT545 says its an SAE #3. What I have is an MT643 that is an SAE #2. So until I know for sure what the size is for the 7.3 I won't know what adapter I'm looking for. I am under the assumption that the 7.3 has an SAE bolt pattern. Or am I wrong here?

Thanks,

Brad

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some looking with that other post and never found anything but people "guessing" which pattern the 7.3 is.

Since the 7.3L PowerStroke shares the bolt pattern with the 6.9 and 7.3L IDI, a call to Navistar (asking about the 7.3L PS) may get you the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online