7.3 Eating oil

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a number of people that have had good luck using Auto-RX to free up sticky rings. This wasn't on an IDI, but it might be worth a shot. The only issue I see is that Auto-RX works slowly over time and with the rate that yours is burning oil the Auto-RX may not be in there long enough to do it's thing.

Maybe others will chime in with other oil additive options. I know I have heard of some people mixing more aggressive cleaners in the oil, letting it idle for a brief period of time and then changing the oil again.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I've tried 3 treatments of Auto RX on my oil burning 6.9 I put in my F150. Burnt about 2 quarts per 400-500 miles, while it was on Auto RX it eventually reduced consumption to as little as 2-3 quarts between oil change intervals witch is normal for an IDI.

As soon as I stopped using Auto RX, thinking it didn't need it anymore, and oil is as clean as in a brand new engine, still is, it went right back to burning the same amount it was before trying it. I have nothing good to say about Auto RX to say the least.

I dumped 2 whole bottles of Sea Foam in this 7.3 we'll see what that does.

I know alot of guys on here don't approve of sea foam because it is very strong stuff, but I've had great success with it in gas engines, so I like experimenting, so i'm trying a double dose on this 7.3 and hell if it does hurt it, to bad, I literally have a dozen IDI's now so if I kill one, no big deal, it'll end up being a parts motor. I do have another good motor to put in this truck anyways.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
if I was using sea foam, I'd be darn sure I was running 15-40 dino oil, it thins it way down and oiling on these doesn't need to be any weaker

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
10W30 is perfectly acceptable to run in theses engines as long as its diesel rated. He mentioned it was so no problem there.

Your problem is either rings or valve seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online