6.9L starts in the morning but won't restart after warmed up

Blakes3greatdanes

Reaction score
Hello all (HELP)
I have an '86 6.9L F250, I rarely use my truck but when I do it is to the hardware store an back. It will start up the first time without any problems, but after a few miles to the home center 10-15min. of runtime I shut it down do my shopping and come back 15-45 min. later it won't restart. The glow plug light will cycle but only for a few short seconds, and then it just cranks over without any hint of wanting to start. any and all ideas would be a great help thank you in advance.

Blake

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try pouring cool water over your injector pump and see if it will start, sometimes when these pumps are starting to go this no start when warm condition happens, let us know

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
What gunnie said. Glow plugs shouldn't really come into play with the truck already warm in the summer time. I'd bet it's time for a pump too.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
IP, IP and IP. Do You use any fuel additive? That could help until You get the new one.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blake-
there's a few things to eliminate before calling the IP to be the culprit.
First, while cranking, depress the air bleed schrader valve on the feul filter head to make sure you have feul coming out.
Second, use a test light and check to make sure the feul solenoid on the IP is energized. It's the connector closest to you on the IP on the driver's side.
Third, if the above tests out good, pick any injector and use a 5/8" wrench to crack open the line at the injector and crank the motor to see if there is feul coming out. If none, your IP has issues and it's time for a trip over to Raineri's-cuss

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you only use the truck occasionally I would just leave it run while inside (If you can do that in Kalifornia). You can run a switched wire down to the FSS wire so you can turn off the ignition and leave the motor running. I know on the 7.3's there is an easy connection on the GP relay, probably a similar connection on the 6.9L.

Like the above says, the problem is likely your IP worn out but it's a lot of money to fix for a truck that you only use occasionally.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could play ball and buy a working core from a junkyard or from ebay and slap it on there. i wouldn't spend more than 50 or 60 dollars on one and I only recommend you do such a thing because its only a very occaisonally used truck and it would be a shame to throw $200-450 at something you cant or don't use often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online