6.9 Mustang

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The subframe connectors and the connectors from the firewall to the lower frame are good ideas.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the IDI in stock form is not fast or powerful......but saying it can't make good power is completely inaccurate. Just look at some of the IDI's that have been built by www.idiperformance.com.

800-900ftlbs of torque would make that Mustang stupid fast. It just depends on what you want to build.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the IDI in stock form is not fast or powerful......but saying it can't make good power is completely inaccurate. Just look at some of the IDI's that have been built by www.idiperformance.com.

800-900ftlbs of torque would make that Mustang stupid fast. It just depends on what you want to build.

800-900ftlbs. of torque from a diesel engine as heavy as an IDI would literally twist the car in half. Without a complete frame build for something that powerful would be a complete waste of time and money imho.

I never said the IDI couldn't make impressive HP/Torque numbers... I said I wasn't looking for a such a build with this car. I'd prefer to get it installed, running and driving before I consider dropping even more cash into the engine for power gains. There may come a time where that becomes my point of focus but that day is long from now.

I'm fully aware of the possibilities of the motor and what's been done with it in the past and present. It all comes down to how deep your pockets are.

:smoke:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah don't put too much money in it.Your going to wrap it around a telephone pole,come your first corner anyway.:D

Here they talk about the weight distribution with such a heavy engine in such a small car.The IDI weighs even more as you know.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

"It's a bit like Dolly Parton.Once everything starts moving,inertia takes over." :D

Last edited:

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fully aware of the possibilities of the motor and what's been done with it in the past and present. It all comes down to how deep your pockets are.

:smoke:

I hear that. I just know a lot of people seem to always say "Don't do that" or "It's not worth it". For me the value is in the eye of the person so if you want to do it, then do it......but then I am kinda weird like that. I have have put more into my '88 e250 than most would say I should of, and I will end up putting more into it.....but I really enjoy doing it and taking it on road trips with the family is great.

My toy car is a 300hp '94 Ford Taurus. Total investment is probably 2 to 3 times what the NADA/KBB value is on it, but to me it is worth it.

Handling would be pretty bad in anything but a straight line.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently searching for the donor truck. No prospects in the Tx area at this time. :smoke:

Posted in the marketplace. $2000 max give or take a little :D. Looking for a solid running truck/motor. Stronger/newer 6.9 block preferred.

Should I be worried about cavitation, realistically? It's the only reason I haven't considered a 7.3 donor truck.

If anyone has any leads PLEASE send them my way! :cheers:

I may be willing to travel a bit if it's worth it. Just sucks it takes nearly 10 hours just to get out of Texas when traveling any where North of here. :frustrate

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Them's the breaks when you live in a state the size of a small country.I have two 7.3's and I am not afraid.:D

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Them's the breaks when you live in a state the size of a small country.I have two 7.3's and I am not afraid.:D

Lol it has it's advantages and disadvantages; that undoubtedly being one of the disadvantages!

I don't believe I would pass up on a reasonable deal on a 7.3 if it was there. I really like the fact that I can run higher boost (with some peace of mind) with the 7.3 cuz of the bigger head bolts/studs..

I hope I come across something soon! :hail