6.9 low/no power

Weldingman

Reaction score
I have an 86 Idi 4 speed 2wd truck that I’ve put about 700 miles since purchasing it. I changed out all the fluids and filters when I bought it. It’s been running really well for me up until today. It seemed like the engine was running at a higher RPM that was I was use to and it progressively got worse. I would have the pedal mashed to the floor the truck would be screaming and it wouldn’t gain any speed. Luckily I was close to home. It idles great, no smoke, starts like a champ. I’m not sure what the problem is, I tried switching tanks to see if that made a difference and it was the same. I’m going to dump my fuel filter and fill it with diesel clean. Any suggestions would be great. Truck has 50k miles I believe it’s original injectors and injection pump. The problem didn’t start slowly, once I noticed it was lacking power maybe in 15-20 miles it’s now struggling just to get moving. I have fuel at the schrader valve by the fuel filter.

Weldingman

Reaction score
This is what came out of the fuel filter. It only has 700 miles since I replaced it. Seems like an excessive amount of junk in there for such little miles. I filled with diesel kleen ran for 20 seconds and I’m going to let it sit for an hour.

Attachments

• 76AFB491-3DC3-4215-AB2D-0DD6AE1FC6A1.jpeg
    76AFB491-3DC3-4215-AB2D-0DD6AE1FC6A1.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 7988DEFB-D627-489F-A590-33626DE38A9E.jpeg
    7988DEFB-D627-489F-A590-33626DE38A9E.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 79B1A694-EB6E-4B97-A780-445AA81016D3.jpeg
    79B1A694-EB6E-4B97-A780-445AA81016D3.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 6
  • D0597E14-7BE0-4825-AE34-DEBEE92DB53D.jpeg
    D0597E14-7BE0-4825-AE34-DEBEE92DB53D.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 6

Brody

Reaction score
You could try blowing out your fuel lines with air to make sure they aren't restricted. Checking for fuel pressure might be good too. I have a gauge permanently mounted on my filter assembly for this reason

Weldingman

Reaction score
I don’t know I just took it for a drive and I’m thinking it’s a clutch or transmission issue. I have a T19 in there. The truck would move up and down the driveway same thing, wouldn’t move until I hit about 2500RPM now it really won’t move at all. Idles and starts up fine so I think fuel is okay. I can put the truck into gear and push it all over so I think the clutch isn’t disengaging(correction I believe it isn’t “disengaging”). I really don’t know tho. I can have the truck idling and shift thru all 4 gears without pushing in the clutch. It shifts no problem and puts no strain on the engine.

Last edited:

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Stuck throw out bearing or trashed clutch would be my guesses. Leaning more towards stuck throw out bearing. I believe the t 19 was equipped with a greasable throw out bearing. Do the hydraulics feel fine on the clutch pedal?

Weldingman

Reaction score
Yeah the clutch pedal is nice and smooth. Anything I could do to try and free it up before I take it to a transmission shop?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Look up in there from the bottom and see if the throw out bearing is stuck. If so try wiggling it back and fourth and see if theres anything it could be hanging up on not letting it slide back. Ive seen a broken pressure plate do this on a dodge cummins before but not on an idi. But not out of the realm of possibilities I suppose. Could check that as well.

Weldingman

Reaction score
Look up in there from the bottom and see if the throw out bearing is stuck. If so try wiggling it back and fourth and see if theres anything it could be hanging up on not letting it slide back. Ive seen a broken pressure plate do this on a dodge cummins before but not on an idi. But not out of the realm of possibilities I suppose. Could check that as well.
I just went under the truck I did not see any grease able fittings I’m not sure how to check if it’s hung up or not.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Oh and the throw out bearing itself may be a greaseable bearing. Some opted for it. Some Didnt. Im just hoping yours does. Also check the "fingers" on the pressure plate while your in there. Just refrain from having a buddy mash the clutch pedal while your fingers are in there. Im sure some of us have already figured this out the hard way

Weldingman

Reaction score
I’m on it tomorrow thank you. Hopefully a little grease saves me a tow to the transmission shop because now the truck won’t move at all.

Weldingman

Reaction score
I got under there and took the cover off. No grease fitting. I can see the clutch plate moving when someone is in the truck pushing in the pedal. I’m thinking my clutch plate is just shot and isn’t grabbing onto the flywheel anymore.