6.9 IDI Hot Start Issue

TylerDunn94

Reaction score
so the current issue I am having with my 87 6.9 IDI is this: The truck starts completely fine and right away when it is cold. When it reaches normal temperature, it takes forever to start it. I have a brand new injection pump in there D&W diesel in Albany, NY. All new glow plugs, brand new more powerful alternator. I am now ordering a new voltage regulator for the batteries as well. I also just ordered a new glow plug controller and injection pump solenoid for accurate diesel. Is there anything else that could be causing this? I've researched all over and this is all I can find. This has become just a project truck but I want to fix this issue. Any advice would help!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine has absolutely no fuel leaks, this is a classic symptom of injection pump heat soak. Especially when you have stated that the engine starts just fine when it’s cold.
As engine warms up, diesel fuel thins out and tolerances expand within injection pump, causing your hard start when engine is hot.
Hate to say it, but you need a new injection pump. I would return that IP you got now and go with Conestoga diesel (Agnem), or Russ (typ4). They have the best injection pumps money can buy. The best part is they are great people to deal with too ;Sweet

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to tell is very a bottle of water, when it’s hard to start dump the whole bottle on the injection pump. it and it should fire right up. If it does you know your ip is worn. No matter if it was just “rebuilt”

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue and a new injection pump solved the problem. I had mine from CDI and had to wait a week to get it but it was a work of art when it arrived. Wyatt will answer any questions you have over there.