6.0 egr type problems

timntrucks

Reaction score
i am lossing water from the plastic bottle.. if i leave off the cap as to not to have any pressure it dont leak.. once the top is on or i put my hand over it it floods out... its not in warenty as it has 68k miles in its 6th year.. thinking all kinds of problems.. any hints as to what it is an what i can do about it.. thanks in advance

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this happen with a hard pull or just regular driving?

timntrucks

Reaction score
mike this happens sitting in the driveway.. i was usuing alot of water just to drive back and forth to work... this makes me just want to trade my truck off... its a single cab F350 4X4 ... i really like the truck and i like fords but i dont know if i would buy another one.... thinking about a GMC or Dodge... i would hate to just trade it in an hope they dont discover that it has a problem.. im a honest fellow but i dont have 2 or 3 k to spend on it right now.. i am thinking that i could do either the upgrade or the delete on the egr cooler.. lets hope someone that has done the delete would chim in with some input. if i know that year had any of those problems i wouldnt have bought it. thanks for the help.

timntrucks

Reaction score
ok i got a update. today first day i felt like looking into my problem... on the side of the plastic water add bottle there is a small hose going to the top of the engine.. that fitting where the rubber line clamps as a busted spot on it... that is the place that all the water is spewing out of... at first i thought it was the hose gone bad so i cut some off of it and then i seen the end almost off. while running that small hose has some type of spitting action ... is this normal.... i will see about a replacement fill bottle ... if any has any info please shout back thanks in advance TIm

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i have seen on similar trucks and what i have read this could be a sign of bad things to come. What year is the truck and how many miles? Do you get any white/grayish smoke in the morning? And i bet you dont get anykind of CEL either? Ive seen a dirty egr valve do alot of weird things to these motors. A good way to tell if you have real problems is too park the truck on a decline and then remove your egr valve. If anymore than a few drops of coolant are present inside of there its gonna be a headache. This has been a pretty good indicator of major problems on the 6.0liters i have worked on.

timntrucks

Reaction score
update again.. i found a small hole in the degasser bottle... so i installed a new one... once the pressure was on it the water poured out the exhaust.. ford place wanted a arm n leg for the repairs. quoted at over 2K a super local deisel mech shop that i have had dealings with in the past and was very inpressed with will do the work for 500 labor and i got the cooler from ford ford 530 so it is in the shop monday or tuesday for the repairs i wish i had time to get a block off kit as i think that is really the best way to go TIm

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" Ive seen a dirty egr valve do alot of weird things to these motors."

Mine did this with a dirty (sooty) EGR valve. It used a ton of coolant and spit coolant out the top of the reservoir. I changed out the EGR valve (which was NOT wet), topped off the coolant and haven't had a lick of trouble since. I'm not getting white smoke and never was, not using any more coolant than I should be and haven't had the temp gage go up or the high temp chime come on since that day.

Best wishes..

Priscilla

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online