5th wheel with a short bed

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, quick question, im converting my ex cab long bed into a crew cab short bed, and then installing a 5th wheel hitch, how should i mount the hitch? with the pin over the axle? before the axle? what is safe? or should i just make it a long bed?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my ram its set up so the pin is right above the axle it was installed by a pro

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC ideally you want it 2" before the axle, the problem you run into with a short bed is that with the pin so far forward you may not be able to jacknife the trailer while trying to fit into a tight spot - its front corners may hit the rear wall of the cab. They make sliding hitches for that purpose, you tow with them in the forward position for nice stability, but when you have to park you unlock the hitch and slide it back some, this gives you the extra distance between the pin and the cab rear wall to jacknife the trailer if you need it to.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sliding hitch not an option, not putting that kind of money into it, so right over the axle will work? i dont want to hit cab but i want it safe

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How wide is the trailer across the front wall? Half of that is the minimum distance between the cab wall and the kingpin slot in the 5th wheel table... See where that puts you with respect to the rear axle - I personally would just ignore that and go with the standard 2" before the axle and then just make it a point to not jacknife the trailer while parking it.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I have always known it as 2" forward of rear axle.
I also believe that an owner needs to take some responsibility. If you feel you can operate the rig with a short bed, go for it. I can tell you that I have been in some situations where I thought my long bed would not work! But I also feel having the truck so long and slow to turn contributed to those situations.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
2" forward as per installation instructions when I installed my rail system on Goldie.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like most stated 2" forward of center of rear axle. This puts some needed weight on the front axle for safe operation and handling. Anything else will comprimise performance. In a controlled enviroment, hook up to the trailer and see if your comfortable with the amount of swing and learn the limits before crushing your cab corner. A slider hitch would be the best way to solve it, sometimes you can not put a price on doing things right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online