***!

f350beast

Reaction score
Ok, so i just had 3300 dollars worth of transmission work done to my truck, and now its been about a month since the work has been completed. So i go to get in my truck this morning just like everymorning and i go to put it into gear and my coloumn shifter pops and goes all the way down to 1. It doesnt go into gear it just goes all the way down to the bottom. so i get out of my truck and check the transmisson to see if it just became un hooked at the transmission and that wasnt the case. what do i look for now? What might be broken and how much is it going to be to fix? its kind of ******* me off that i have to keep dumping money into the truck as im trying to sell the damn thing! any help would be much appericated. thanks fellas

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Might want to take a peek under the dash and see if the cable linkage popped off the steering column.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The cable will come up thru the firewall and go up to a bracket mounted to the steering column. The cable end will look similar as the transmission end and presses onto a dowel on the tab for the gear selector.
It will be easier to see once you take the lower dash panel off.
Moving the selector thru the range of gears will show you where things are by movement.
Make sure your parking brake or tires are chocked before you start.

bump it

Reaction score
Shift shaft

3 things to look for.

1, cable off of the end of the shift shaft. It will be quite a ways down the column almost to the floor..............you will see where the cable attaches/or should attach to the shift shaft

2, the plate and arm that holds the cable may have come loose from the shift shaft. You would have noticed sloppy shifter movement if this was the case.

3, The shift shaft which runs down the top of the column has broken. This is a known failure point and napa has the part. I just bought one for a '94 and it was about $30.00 Not a big deal to swap out the part. You will need parts from your old assembly to fit onto the new shaft.

The column on a '94 is pretty simple to drop. Yours should be as well. If you have airbags disconnect your battery for awhile before you start.......

Good luck.