5.8 to 7.3idi questions

RezNeck

Reaction score
So I have a 1989 F-250HD with a 5.8 gas engine and a 5 speed tranny. The truck is in pretty good shape and I use it mainly for work out here at the ranch. Now I have a friend who has a 7.3 idi just sitting around his shop and he said I could buy it pretty cheaply. Now my question is what all would be required to swap the gasser for the 7.3? I know i can get the motor bolted in and mated with the tranny but other than that what all will i need to do a complete swap? (Wiring it up etc..) Thanks in advance for for your help.

-Clint

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I believe the gas 5spd isn't a direct bolt on to the diesel IDI. Now the electrical I have no idea, Mel Agne (Agnem) has done two so maybe You can ask Him.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford had a few different bolt patterns on the ZF's. The one for the 351 would bolt to the 302, and 300. The 460 would bolt to the diesel if you drilled the holes right.

There was a 460 in mine but it was missing when I got the truck. I came up with a diesel donor. To date, I have swapped over all of the wiring harnesses, fuel system (including tanks), instrument cluster, core support, frame mounted motor mounts, and added the second battery tray.

What have I learned? It is a cool project to do once, but I don't think I'll ever do it again. Just my .02 cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin