5.0 87 bronco little more go?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything kinda easy to give my old bronco a little extra go power? It's got a 302 and aod trans, it's not completely gutless but just want a little more from it, it's got 1 cat then 3 inch exhaust, and a k and n in the factory intake. Anything simple to give it just a little more get up and go? It's kinda just my old project needs lots of parts but it was my first vehicle so I want it to keep on living a while. Soon to have all new steering, and basically needs all running gear replaced as it used to be a mud and play toy but now I'd just like to drive it again

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you what was done to it, but had a 81 f150 with a 5.0 (had paperwork for a replacement H.O. engine) and same trans.
That thing would blow the tires off.
Did put long tube headers on it. Played with the timing some. I think it had a stock carb.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got stock fuel injection on mine, I'm guessing my 3:55 gears and 13.5 33 Toyo mts and steel wheels are probably a factor in my feeling a lack of power lol I've considered buying a set of junkyard axles with 4:10 that are in better shape and replacing mine with them killing two birds with one stone possibly, any sort of like chip tuner type things I can do? Any adjustments I can do myself to help it? Motor was supposed to have been rebuilt before the previous owner had it. It's estimated to have around 50k on it now. It's really dirty and leaky because of me being adventurous when I got my liscense lol it basically sits now besides starting it and moving it around the block

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to add, but can you describe the "lack of power" feeling?

Many moons ago, I was driving an 87 F-150 Auto that belonged to my then F-I-L. I tuned it up - plugs, cap, rotor and wires. This thing wouldn't get out of it's own way. It would get up to highway speeds, but nothing like a V-8 in a 2wd RC LB pickup should. I've driven a Cheby RC LB 2wd full size pickup with the 4.3 V-6, a 4x4 F-150 RC LB 351 auto, and had 2 full sized custom vans with the 302, (85 - Carb, 95 - EFI) and they were a racecar compared to this truck. It performed more like my 91 N/A Jetta IDI...... like 0-60 on a sundial........

Was there something going on in 87, since it was the first year of the Brick, or did this thing just have some issue I never found.....

Sorry for the hijack

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did new tune up on it also, timing was checked adjusted 5k ago probably but it's also been sitting since basically. There's intake spacers for it online and a larger "throttle body" but I'm not sure how much those will really add, I think I'm gonna go the axle swapout for 4.10 gears that will solve most of my major issues of it being road worthy. All ball joints are bad, wheel bearings rotors brakes, probably calipers, steering linkage is toast, rear axle ran mud instead of gear oil for probably 10k so it's toasted too lol

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Grab the intake, injectors, and TB from a '96-'98 explorer or mountaineer (make sure you ohm out the injectors, should read 11-18, that's what you need, lower won't work, make sure you get the 4-hole style)
Heads from a '99 explorer or mountaineer (gt-40 or gt-40p, will gain a net 30-50hp).
Full length headers.
Gives you 19# injectors (SHOULD recalibrate the mass air meter in the computer or grab the one from a 5.0 mustang or crown vic, your stock ones are 16# IIRC),

Crank fuel pressure to 44lbs, should flow about 20-22# fuel then.

Hello fun pedal! LOL

Should realistically take you to around the 300hp mark.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just start with the basics .... new plugs , leads , air filter , fuel filter and a coil (use good quality stuff) . Give it a "timing bump" - 1 or 2 degrees and run a good quality gas in it. By far the best thing you will do is that gearing swap though. On edit i see you've already done tune up to it .... my 87 f150 was a real slug when i got it until i went through all the basics and removed all the emissions crap - now runs a 3 inch single system no cat , timing advance , 95 octane fuel and with 3.55 gearing on 235/75R15 i'm pulling 1750 -1800 rpm at 100km/hr. still gutless in od unless you are in "hello officer" territory which i try to avoid. Tows ok for the limits we have but she can suck down gas like an alky coming of a 3 month wagon ride when towing at 90 in 3rd which is why i'm going to idi it.

Last edited:

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is an aod non electric, you have a speed density system, taking a guess on years. Swapping to mass is difficult, lots of wiring, batch injection vs seqential, single o2 sensor vs stereo. Your kind of limited on mods as the ecm likes idle vacuum to stay above 16hg. Truck intake flows well, and better then the stock heads. 302 Truck engines should have 19# injectors. With the emission crap be carefull eec-iv will throw codes if not done right, Carbon canistor and solenoid will have no effect on performance, solenoids for the air pump needs to be connected electrically. Egr just works very well, and only affect part throttle operation. I purposely installed egr on the fuel injected 302 in my 62 f-100, actually helped with using overdrive and detonation. 10.5 to 1 engine on 87 and will not ping. That leaves you with cats and air pump, cat is may be getting plugged anyways at this age.
Better air filter, some shorty headers, may get you 10-15 hp. Run the timming on the ragged edge of pinging

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a y pipe I can buy that just bolts into place where my cat is at? Or a manifold back exhaustnsystem? Don't need expensive but I be that things probably pretty clogged up also it's stock with well over 200k on it lol motor and trans been rebuilt at some time but exhaust looks original Besides where I cut it off and made the tail end 3 inch with a flowmaster. It's still basically silent even when it was straight piped for a day

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 have said it
"...Played with the timing some..."
1 said 1 or 2 * , I'd say 4 over ford spec (but twist untill ping on hwy, then back a scotch).
Cheepest hop up available (ford retarded due to emissions).

Tire sz change is cheeper than gears (pump em up too).
Don't some of that era go w/a dual plane intake & 4v carb?
As vehicles R a System, alota sm things all together (less U got $$$).

Home made turbo (& keep the carb) is fun too.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel injection is on this one, bumping timing I will do. Tires I don't want to change 90% tread toyo mt's $$ lol reason for the gear change is I want to swap out my old axles as I basically killed every piece of them off roading when I was in high school and didn't maintain them properly the axle change would be cheaper and easier than rebuilding what's left of them that's why I was thinking about picking up axles with 4.10 to put under it

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well taxes are on their way back! We will see what happens after I complete sim general maintainance on my truck first then the bronco will get some parts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online