4R100 to IDI

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find specific info. I found a deal on a 2001 4R100, I will be using a baumann TCM setup so the electronics dont matter. The only physical thing I see is the torque converter has 6 bolts but it looks like it interchanges with a 4 bolt E4OD one, can anyone confirm this?

Any reason this swap is not feasible? Maybe clearance issues between the engine and trans?? I know need to ask baumann if a IDI TPS will work with the 4R100. With all the internal updates done I am surprised no one has done this swap if it is possible.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have heard this is doable but not sure whats all needed. I do know the converter will not swap because of the 4 to 6 bolts idea but you know that too. I recall something about the solenoid paks but don't recall what that was about. Good idea using the other trans brains instead of what Ford gave us..:thumbsup:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the electronics side of it. You surely can change the flexplate from the 4 bolt pattern to the 6 bolt pattern. A flexplate cost is about $125 at least that was the cost from TOUSELY Ford. I think they have now set up a parts sales, called White Bear in White Bear MN. Google them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I sure would buy a 6 bolt flex plate is it would fit our idi crank but the psd flex plates wont fit our cranks. Unless theres something new out there. Having 4 bolts is not what I feel these engines needs. I think they need the 6 bolt converters.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
First off this is an 01 4R100. You need to find out if it has been rebuilt. 01's had a mechanical diode (one way clutch) that is know for failure. The fix is to replace it with the previous E4OD part.

Now easy stuff. Because you are using an aftermarket controller. Check with the manufacturer for wiring specs. You should be able to run your tranny the way it is. In other words, no swapping the solenoid pack or DTRS.

As for a torque converter, Use a four stud converter for the E4OD. That will cure your flex plate problem.