460 overheated slightly- now new noise and runs rough.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
1994 F-250 460/E4OD

Pulling a 5er over a high pass last weekend I looked down and saw that my temp gauge was seriously past the 'normal' and heading for the red. The next pull out was at the top of the hill so I had to make it there as traffic was heavy and there are no safe places to stop except the pullouts on this particular road. I did let off and ended up all the way down in 1st gear as we crested the summit. When I pulled off I left the motor running so that coolant was still circulating. I even upped the revs a bit to allow the fan to pull more air while we waited. After about 20 minutes we took off again, heading for another higher, steeper pass. Part way up it started smoking a bit. At the top I again pulled of to let it cool. After about 20 minutes I shut it down to check the fluids as I could see a fresh leak. Turns out the valve cover gasket on the drivers side was leaking onto the exhaust. I put in a full 3 quarts.

At the bottom of the canyon I was again low on oil. Being as it was getting dark and Sunday and the parts store was closed I chose to buy a few gallons of oil at the truck stop and push the 80 or so miles home, stopping every 15-20 miles to check fluids and top off.

We made it home, but now the motor runs rough at idle and makes a clicking noise. How bad did I damage it? What generally goes first when a 460 is mistreated like this?

This trip did remind me why I prefer diesels- now I need to get my truck finished!!! Problem is that finishing it requires this one be sold.-cuss

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
If your using that much oil you probly smoked some rings, and or pistons. Knoking could be bottom end carnage (ie bearings) from lack of oil. What does your oil pressure look like at operating temps now?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I think you are right. I changed the oil and filters (and the leaking valve cover gasket) and it seemed better until I took it on the freeway. On a 40 mile leg it used 3 quarts, so I am sure its toast. Its only down on power a little, which is surprising. The blow by is tremendous.

The hard part now is deciding what to do with the truck. I entertained putting an IDI and ZF5 (That is in the shed) in it, but I don't have time for any projects in the foreseeable future.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really sucks when you have the parts sitting and no time or facilities to do the work properly to repair or repower something.

But it sounds like you did a little nasty to that 460 so no matter what, you will be having work done to the truck whether it be repairing the gasser or installing the diesel and manual tranny. Something to consider.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
It really sucks when you have the parts sitting and no time or facilities to do the work properly to repair or repower something.

But it sounds like you did a little nasty to that 460 so no matter what, you will be having work done to the truck whether it be repairing the gasser or installing the diesel and manual tranny. Something to consider.

Really really sucks... The truck is parked now. I came to the realization that I am not a mechanic anymore; I need to concentrate on my work and it would be nice to take a family vacation that didn't include being under a hood or getting greasy just to make it home so I broke down and bought a new truck.

Now I need to decide what to do with this one. If it didn't have $1100 in NEW tires on it I would donate it to one of the local charities. For now it sits in the driveway. Its a nice enough truck that I don't want to scrap it, but the used truck market is not that great around here. I sold the IDI motor and transmission, so that is not really an option now.