4 Wheel Drive

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to put my truck in four wheel drive the other day during snow storm and so I turned the switch on and dash lit however front wheels had no power. Manual hubs do not want to turn. Never used them anyway as long as i had the truck. Everything else that would normally work on vaccum still works. any ideas?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if you have the Auto/Manual vacuum actuated hubs they have probably failed. either that or you have a vacuum leak somewhere. if you cant turn them manually to "lock". then most likely it's time for new lockout hubs. i put manual Warn hubs in mine. so now i have to get out and lock them but the dash switch still works the transfer case.

if you replace them with manual hubs, be sure to disconnect and plug the vacuum line for the hubs, at the vac pump on the passenger fender well.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Most likely your hubs where frozen and that is why you could not turn them. The reason they did not lock is most likely bad hub seals. You should check the rubber vacuum lines going to the knuckles first. The seal is the next likely cause. To ge to the seal you need to pull the wheelbearing and to get a new one on the axle you really need the special driver or you will wreck a perfectly good $50 seal.
First thing to do is see what you can do to ge the hubs turning. To replace the hubs and seal is gonna get expensive and the above post becomes much more valid.
Ken

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured that might be the direction I would have to go. Now this morning I get in the truck and for the very first time I could not control my cabin heat flow. Its all defrost now. I will have to try to find those hub supply lines at the pump and seal them off.

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to free up the factory manual hubs. Checked and they worked. Got to remember that I have to back up to disengage. That sucks. Now I have to find the best place to close off vaccum lines so I can get my heat back on dash. havent had a chance to do that.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the sooner the better, it you cant build vacuum your pump may be running constantly. it's an electric pump so i dunno how long it will last that way.

you can hear it if you turn the ignition on with out starting the engine. find the pump and follow the line that goes to the hubs. it was easy to find on my truck.

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find the line that goes to the hubs however there is no vacuum on it while the pump is running. I put the selector 4x4 switch on and still no vacuum. I must have a leak somewhere else. when i pull the main off the pump it shuts off instanly so I know the pressure switch works. So my problem may not be in the hubs after all. Does anyone have a vacuum hose diagram. By the way Ken and Rob thanks for the responses.

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I have a bad hub lock solenoid. matter a fact it is cracked so I know it is bad. so when i relpace it I may still have auto hubs after all. Problem is it is a stealer part only. cant wait to see this price.