351w to idi swap

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever seen an idi put into a small block truck? im thinkin i might drop an idi into my f-350 but i dont know if there is a big frame difference or not. if anyone has some info please let me know

thanks

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any frame difference at all. Change engine mounts and bolt in if you have a tranny and all that is needed to do swap.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea the overall frame is the same its the motor mounts, tranny and all the hookups that will be diff. you would be best off getting a donor truck to get all the odds and end from or just buying another.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea the overall frame is the same its the motor mounts, tranny and all the hookups that will be diff. you would be best off getting a donor truck to get all the odds and end from or just buying another.

do u have any hints on wiring it up? im gonna put the glow plugs on a push button and the high idle and advance on a switch, i was wondering if i could use the hot wire from the coil to operate the fuel shut off because i have a extra engine harness from a small block that im gonna cut up so i can use the plugs that are still under my hood for the engine harness and so i can still use the factory oil pressure and coolant temp gauges

subway

Reaction score
depending on the year i was under the impression you could for the most part just get the engine harness of a diesel and swap it in place of the gasser engine harness. then engine harness can be completely removed under the hood of my 94 without affecting the the rest of the bodies wiring.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on the year i was under the impression you could for the most part just get the engine harness of a diesel and swap it in place of the gasser engine harness. then engine harness can be completely removed under the hood of my 94 without affecting the the rest of the bodies wiring.

well mines a 97 f-350 that im putting the idi in and i bought a 85 f-350 that that has a 7.3 with a 4 speed behind it but i bought a 5 speed to put behind it so i can cruse faster down the highway. i dont think thoes engine harnesses have the same plugs and even if they did i dont think it would work out

subway

Reaction score
yea it couldn't be that easy could it....i haven't swapped to a diesel in one of these just working on mine. you should look up mel's (agnem on here) he has done several diesel swaps and documented the changes he had to make. if i remember right one of the biggest headaches was not the truck frame but the core support for the radiator. the diesels take a much bigger opening than the gasser ones for the radiator.

besides the glow plug system there is not really much to the wiring, besides the gages there is really only a couple of wires to control the injection pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin