285s on stock rims?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
That's what I've been concerned about more than tread. The tread on my tires is still ok, but it's been sitting outside in the sun and the sidewalls have a lot of dry rot. Holds air, but I don't trust it for my upcoming trip.

The 285s fell through, turned out they were only selling a pair. When I told them I wasn't interested in only 2 tires, they told me to run them on the back and run the 235s on the front(since 2 of my tires are still good). Obviously I'm not running 2 different sizes on a 4x4....and it would look retarded as all hell.

Back to the search.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out last spring to buy new tires. I wanted a set of 285/75/16's. Well i went to Sam club, Thay had the best price! Bought 6 new tires with free mounting and balancing. Go to the to have them mounted and they won't mount them because they are not what the truck is spec'ed for. Totally pissed me off. sell me a tire and then tell me you can't mount it ***.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Got a good deal on a set of 235s. The truck is now roadworthy, inspected, and licensed. To heck with driving a POS Lexus.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
One of the newer tires blew out on me over the weekend. Guess they weren't as new as i thought.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out last spring to buy new tires. I wanted a set of 285/75/16's. Well i went to Sam club, Thay had the best price! Bought 6 new tires with free mounting and balancing. Go to the to have them mounted and they won't mount them because they are not what the truck is spec'ed for. Totally pissed me off. sell me a tire and then tell me you can't mount it ***.

I have had that happen before. so now I take the wheels off and take them. they will just mount it. same thing goes for a light utility trailer tire. if you tell them its for a trailer they wont sell or mount the tire for you. so I take the wheel in and tell them its off a honda civic. I am talking a trailer that is barely big enough for a motorcycle.

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
everyone tells me not to run the tires i run cuz there are slightly weatherchecked. hell i run E rating tires thats 10 plys of rubber, just cuz the outside layer is a little cracked. i run tires i get for next to nothing, never had any issues. if i feel them going bad or wearing weird i just throw another set on

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It's the first flat I've ever had on this truck. The second one happened a few seconds later as I knocked the valve stem loose on the spare as I put it on. Both tires had passed my visual inspection. It's all taken care of now.

Also hit a deer the same day. The truck handled it like a champ. Not a scratch, just a little blood. Got 15.6 mpg going 80-85 on the interstate. This is a CC LB 4x4 with a 351 that has been sitting for a couple years.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the truck was a diesel, all that crap wouldn't have happened, but still it's a Ford built tough. :D

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If the truck was a diesel, all that crap wouldn't have happened, but still it's a Ford built tough. :D

;Sweet

Yup, but my driving patterns and usage don't justify owning a diesel at this point. That factored into my decision to sell my old 6.9. It sits more than it drives anymore, and the only trailer I pull is a small open trailer with ATV's on it. I'll save the diesels for those who need em. The fact that this truck sat for 2+ years without being touched, and then started up and performed flawlessly was evidence to me of Ford's quality. And when I hit that deer without a scratch or injury to my family, I swore an oath that I will never buy a truck that does not have the blue oval stamped on front of it.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I applied your logic I'd still have a chevy truck. Parked my 87' Chevy in 2007 because it stopped running. 2011 I came back and decided to get it running. So I threw a battery in it, and figured to diagnose why it wouldn't run.

Cranked that thing over, and it started. Ran like garbage because of a leaking injector, but it started. Surprised the crap out of me. I rock crawled in that ugly beast, and towed plenty of cars and trucks, such as my 56' Willy's pickup.

Sold it because it was a single cab, and you can't fit a family of four in that. Ran around without a truck for a while, then realized I was an idiot and bought my current F350.

The problem with that old chevy though, was fuel mileage. That darn thing never broke 13 mpg, and would usually get 8-10. And it was a single cab shortbed. This massive f350 of mine gets better mileage towing than that Chevy ever got.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
While I understand a diesel has better MPG potential, it also has higher maintenance costs. Those are fine and justifiable if you use the truck regularly for work. The nature of my work has changed and I don't really need a truck very often. I put maybe 5,000 miles on my truck the last year I drove it. It's not good for diesels to let them sit like that. They need to be worked regularly. I would love a diesel again, but this old gasser does the occasional dump run and short haul without breaking a sweat and with cheaper fuel and maintenance. I can't complain about the 15.7 mpg I got unloaded and 14.5 mpg I got loaded last weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online