240k miles + 65psi of boost = Headgasket death

J.Keith

Reaction score
Yup, thats right. Last night I was screwing around with a turbo'd Eclipse with all my fueling on and sure enough, got up this morning and went to start the truck and noticed that the passenger side wheel well was wet. Pop the hood and there's coolant all over the place. Not leaking directly out of the head but it was getting compression and oil into the cooling system. I honestly can't believe that it lasted this long. I've had the twins on it and making 55+ psi of boost for over 10k miles.
Got the head off this evening and that gasket was blown in about 15 spots.

On the plus side everything else looks fine. There's absolutely NO scoring on the cylinder walls. The crosshatching looks new and the pistons look great! Nice even spray pattern and stuff.

So I'm going to be taking the head over to GAM for o-rings and valve springs.

Such is life!

Jeremy

J.Keith

Reaction score
Oh yea. I'll have a grand in it by the time I'm done. But it'll run like a bat outta hell!

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that the stock head gasket is good to about 50 PSI and thats about it... So ya its a good time to beef up the gasket and do some trick work on the head...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...:rolleyes:

J.Keith

Reaction score
Well I don't really look at it as a misfortune. It's all together again and runs awesome. 4 retorque's and it's good to go.
I did the hi performance valve springs and ported it pretty good.

It's all good!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online