2002 IDM

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So here's the deal, the girlfriend been driving my 02 F350 back and forth to work past few days. She called me at 11:30 last night when she was getting ready to head home and said the truck wouldn't start. Went up there and hooked the scanner up to it and was showing IDM codes present, I was able to get it to start but it was underpowered, missing, trying to stall, so we just drug it back to the house (with the 6.9 IDI ;p). Got up this morning and looked at it a little closer, neighbor has an almost identical truck, he let me borrow his IDM for test purposes and the truck ran great. My question is, where is the cheapest place y'all know of to buy a new IDM for this truck, I know from past experience that Ford wants $930 for a new one, and that's my cost as a mechanic, I'd like to find one cheaper somewhere, but without buying a used one. Any help greatly appreciated.

Also looking to buy a chip for this truck, what would y'all recommend? It's a 2002 F350 Crew Cab Dually 7.3L PowerStoke and 6-Speed manual tranny-cuss (wantin a 5 speed). My only two things on selecting a chip it needs to be shift on the fly and come with a monitor.

Bryce

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
absolutely nothing wrong with buying a used one.IIRC it is a ford only part unless you find a reman.id trust used before id trust a reman.bad wiring and water are the causes of failure.they have a little hole in the back of them where the water gets in.

for a chip i highly recomend tony wildman.i dont have his contact info but you can cantact www.beansdieselperformance.com .DPtuner is also good but ive never run thier programs.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only two things on selecting a chip it needs to be shift on the fly and come with a monitor.

Bryce

only way youre gonna get a monitor is if you get a tuner.tuners arent nearly as good as a chip.i wouldnt trust themonitor anyways.id rather have a set of good old mechanical gauges.

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
My bad, I meant a tuner, but said chip, sorry about that. I just need something that the girlfriend will pay attention to, she never seems to pay attention to the gauges in my Chevy, but maybe with a color monitor in front of her she'll pull her head out of her ass and pay attention to it:rolleyes:. I've been looking at the Edge Juice with Attitude and the either CS/CTS monitors.

Bryce

And I just don't like the idea of a used IDM, around here all the salvage yards leave them on the trucks and they sit out in the weather most of the time exposed to the wind rain dirt snow and everything else

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never run a tuner and as far as i know they arent shift on the fly as they rewrite the computer.chips are shift on the fly.honestly if she doesnt pay attention to the gauges she most likely wouldnt pay attention to a screen either.my ex didnt pay attention to the gauges either.

you can find reman idms on ebay.myself i wouldnt trust it unless it came from ford.but thats me.i had a good used one a week ago but sold it back to the salvage yard i got it from cuz they had a customer that needed one.

you can also use an idm from 94-03.theyre all interchangeable.only difference is 94-97 is 110volts and 99-03 are 120 volts.you wouldnt even know the difference in performance.

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
The Edge Juice with Attitude is a plug and play system and has a monitor that gives you the capability to shift on the fly between 5 power levels, boss has one on his 01 Dodge and really likes it, but I've never seen one installed on a 7.3, makes a good amount of difference on a 6.0 though. H&S makes one too but I think they are only for the 6.0 and 6.4. I was just curious as to what everyone may be running on their trucks and get a few opinions before I drop the money for one.

And for the IDM, I too don't like reman stuff either, but I come closer to trusting a reman than one from our local salvage yard that been sitting outside in the elements for who knows how long. I may just have to break down and go buy one from Ford tomorrow morning, gotta have this truck going she's already pissed off cause she had to drive the 86 to work this morningLOL.

Anyway thanks for the pointers and if anyone else has any recommendations on a chip/tuner, let me know.

Bryce

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you change the IDM, might be a good idea to change the GF also.:dunno:D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youre lookin for more info check out our sister site www.superdutydiesel.com .this site is geared more towards the idi.the PSD knowledge here is lacking to put it nicely.

anyways the 7.3 responds to chips better than the tuners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online