2001 24V - what to look for

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I just test drove a VERY nice 2001 2500 Extended cab 24V. Truck is very nice, was highway driven and has 120,000+ miles. It is an automatic and I am seriously considering it.

I wasn't super impressed with the power, but I am sure those here can help there! :) Where do I look for the block number, or is it just a given that all 01's have the bad block. Never owned a Dodge, but really liked this truck and have been offered a very good deal on it.

What to look for?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
One with a manual transmission ---- oops did I say that out loud. The auto trans aren't going to like having the power turned up on them - if you plan on adding anything more than a different air filter or exhaust then you will need to consider upgrading the trans right along with it.

Now there is some information posted from Kevin (Whitmore) about the 53 blocks - myself I don't think I would worry about it too much - there is a process out there where you can repair it it's called lockstitch or something to that effect.

But seriously I would hold out for a manual trans dude.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, prolly will. Like my handshaker and REALLY want a Crew Cab...but the price is so good!

Of course, if yours is any sign of how tough the manual is...I know, consider the guy rowing it!!! :) I was not real impressed with the power with the automatic as well. Seems to really suck up some ponies. The truck is also bone stock, but I know there is more to be found.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, so what are the performance options on an automatic transmission? Will they hold up to additional HP? I was talking with my neighbor who has a 1 ton dually and tows with it quite a bit. He is starting to see some problems in his slush box as well.

I still like this truck and really would like to have an automatic, but don't want the headaches and this truck REALLY needs some power mods and probably some tranny mods already. It didn't seem to really impress me until it was rolling pretty well. Felt as if the tranny was sucking up a lot of horsepower, although not really slipping. Kind of hard to tell though with a truck I didn't drive pre-mileage.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Rumor has it that a auto will hold up
to an additional 60hp or so. A stick is
fine. Just don't let Travis drive it. I'm
way over 400/1100 with my setup and
I still have 5th gear in my truck. :)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rumor has it that a auto will hold up
to an additional 60hp or so. A stick is
fine. Just don't let Travis drive it. I'm
way over 400/1100 with my setup and
I still have 5th gear in my truck. :)

:backoff hey now I missed this comment the first time around ;p

So Scott are ya going for it?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
One with a manual transmission ---- oops did I say that out loud. The auto trans aren't going to like having the power turned up on them - if you plan on adding anything more than a different air filter or exhaust then you will need to consider upgrading the trans right along with it.

Now there is some information posted from Kevin (Whitmore) about the 53 blocks - myself I don't think I would worry about it too much - there is a process out there where you can repair it it's called lockstitch or something to that effect.

But seriously I would hold out for a manual trans dude.

You are so right! I have driven no less than 6 of them of similar vintage, as new as 2005 with automatics. I really wanted an automatic, but I have also driven a couple hand-shakers, no comparison. What did they do, install all 6 injectors in the stick and only 4 in the autos? Those that I drove don't even run similar, they are like two different engines...really strange!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
:backoff hey now I missed this comment the first time around ;p

So Scott are ya going for it?

Nah, I like the truck, but do NOT like the transmission. Maybe all of them that I have driven have problems with the autos, I don't know, but they seemed to REALLY overpower the auto transmission. This one felt good, makes good power and is a REALLY nice truck, but when I drove the manuals, there just is no comparison.

I am really looking for a 4 door anyway, it is a Xcab. Nice, but if I am going to drop that kind of dough, I wanna get what I want. Would like to find a later model, crew cab, few less miles and a good price, but that might be asking for too much. A dealership has an 08 Ford SD F350 with 18,000 on it for sale - gotta wonder about that? But it is a very nice truck, and they offered me a really good deal which scares me even more!!!

None the less, I still have to get this other little problem taken care of or I might be paying for it 1 1/2 times! :) Once to the bank and once 1/2 of the value to her!!! :) Anyway, not too far off on that either, unless they get another continuance!!! :puke: :puke: