1990 7.3 IDI non turbo

pyrate

Reaction score
On my return road trip my 7.3 has developed a very strange sound.
Sounds like a chain rubbing? and the engine is running so rough now it acts like it is going to jump out of the truck.

Anyone experience this before and know what the problem may be?

I suspect it is fuel related by the way it is running, but not sure if it is a IP issue.

All suggestions/Help is appreciated

Thx
Pyrate

pafixitman

Reaction score
Sounds like a tow chain bouncing off the road at high speed? When my valve let go that is one of the sounds I heard. Push rod through the valve cover, more bent rods, broken lifters and a "kissed" piston.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not good news for a first time poster. :( Welcome anyway. Sorry to be the bearers of bad news.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an injector tip broke off, broken valvespring, bent pushrod or dropped a valve. Only things I can think of right now that could cause this.

A compression or leakdown test could eliminate a dropped/ bent valve and you could use an IR thermometer to figure out what cylinder has the miss.

pyrate

Reaction score
Thanks for the Idea's

I am hoping to have a look this weekend, I will post what I find.
If it turns out to be a dropped valve, then I am very happy I made it home, it carried me more than 5 hours making this noise and running like crap to get home. But it did get me there :)

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Put all the details of your truck(s) in your sig, then, in the future, we'll know all the specifics. Just a suggestion.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to have a look this weekend, I will post what I find.
If it turns out to be a dropped valve, then I am very happy I made it home, it carried me more than 5 hours making this noise and running like crap to get home. But it did get me there :)
I can say the same for my '92 CC. Left central TX with it woofing and clattering. Got to El Paso and it sounded OK but idled like garbage. Same cold noises the next morning. Decided to leave her running for the rest of the trip back to Kali. Drove straight through. along with feul, she took 6 gallons of water at every 400 miles. Breathed a sigh of relief when I got to the central valley side of the grapevine. 50k mile factory Ford rebuild swallowed a valve. Killed the motor dead getting back to the SFbay area. but she made it;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems to be one of the better qualities of these motors. A lot of guys have driven a long time with serious engine damage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online