1987 hvac

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so upon discovery of the mice (and crap,*****,nuts, etc) problem. I pulled the hvac apart. Is it supposed to come apartm Doubtful.. definitely not ideal. However it does have locking tab areas along with a bonded plastic track that aligns the pieces. It's apart as shown. My ideas is to sand the mating surfaces to bind adhesion and then use rtv to reseal.

The rtv will have to play two roles. 1.make it air tight. 2. Bind the two surfaces. As many know the factory units are suprisingly pretty rigid upon removal. I want to retain that same construction. Before I took the plunge figured I would see if anyone else have been here and done it?

My concern is achieving a very non existent voc once cured.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RTV might work, personally I'd try something stronger like windshield urethane. Once fully cured it shouldn't emit odors. It'll stink pretty good until then though! I'm just thinking of that because it should stick better than the RTV although the RTV might work just fine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm certainly paying attention to this. I'll be doing this to my 1987 here shortly and have no experience with the Brick Nose HVAC system. Just be aware that windshield is very thick and difficult to squeeze out to apply when it's cold/cool. Not to mention that it's about as bad as antiseize when you accidentally touch it.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy but the best adhesive I’ve found is Shoe Goo. Easy to work with and when it cures it’s going to stay together.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not crazy at all! That's what I am thinking...as always..there has got to be a better way. I have thought about attempting to reweld the plastic. There are actually parts that have stapled locking the rim together. In general though my experience is that plastic and fasteners aren't a good recipe especially when you add heat and time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did exactly what needs to be done! That's the only way to get rid of that stinky mouse **** odor. Scrub everything with Clorox several times. Reassemble with your favorite adhesive and maybe consider a combination like epoxy (JBWeld or two minute epoxy) at strategic locations and rtv at others. It's work worth doing "one time correctly" vs a three time learning experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online