1986 F250 6.9 IDI - no crank even if relay is jumped

Andrew Meyer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My truck recently would crank fine with either turning the key or just jumping the starter solenoid on the fender. Recently, I was attempting to start by jumping the solenoid (so I could crank while under the hood) and the motor cranked but got slower and slower until it stopped.

Thought batteries (which are brand new) were dead so I jumped it, same thing. Solenoid clicks when I turn ignition key, nothing else happens. Is this a bad starter? I put a new starter solenoid in and it does the exact same thing.

Appreciate the help.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought batteries (which are brand new) were dead so I jumped it, same thing. Solenoid clicks when I turn ignition key, nothing else happens.

How long did you leave the jumper cables on it? I'm sure you know if it's dead you'll have to use the other vehicle to "charge" the batteries a little before it will do anything. SOUNDS like a dead battery. Have you tried putting a good battery in after removing your other batteries? Even one GOOD battery and it should crank.

Andrew Meyer

Reaction score
I left it hooked up for about 10 minutes, it wouldn't even attempt to crank, I figured if the starter was getting power the dome lights/dash lights would go out while cranking indicating low voltage, but not even that happens. Its as if the starter isn't even trying to work. The batteries are 1 month old Interstate 800 CCA's.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Break out the voltmeter... check at the batteries, the various connections and finally at the starter itself. It's a simple circuit, won't be hard to find the weak spot.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s how my starter died. It was just fine until the last 5 seconds of its life. Got slower and slower till nothing. Verify voltage and tight connections before dropping cash on a starter. Most people here recommend db electric or powermaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the batteries are that drained you will need more than a few minutes with jumper cables. Put it on a charger for a few hours and try again.

ClockwerkRat

Reaction score
I agree that batteries sound like the culprit, but if those are for sure good then there are a couple of steps you can take prior to replacing the starter.

Try barring the engine over by hand.

If the engine turns over, I would then check the power wire to the starter and the ground. A voltage drop across a bad connection could be sapping the power you need to crank it over. A frayed or corroded battery cable might have finally given up the last time you were cranking it over.

Finally, if the engine cranks over, you are sure the batteries are good, and all of the connections are good, I would pull the starter off and bench test it using a known good battery.

That's my two cents anyways. Looking forward to hearing what it is.

-Joe

Conky

Reaction score
Have Wifey or buddy hold key on and hit starter body with hammer, **** started
Now drive to get new starter, don't shut it off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin