10.25 into trailer axle

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i think it is a good idea but i would lean more toward using just the spindles with some grease in them and a block off plate. i have done something similar but on a much smaller scale when i was 16. i pulled the rear spindles off of an old k car i got for parts. bolted them to a piece of heavy angle iron welded to the ends of a heavy pipe so it lowers the center of the axle. it was used for a 4x8 utility trailer but i have had well over a ton on it with no problem. even lowered a gutted car body onto it to make a scrap run.

like mentioned it has been done, at first i was just going to use an old axle but talking with a few guys decided i didnt want the extra weight and spinning gears sucking up some of my go power and fuel. might not matter much at all on a big trailer but a utility trailer like i had it would about double the weight.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a fabricated axle, using spindles off a front axle would be a reasonable alternative. Just mount a pipe, with flats welded to the ends, machined to mate up to a Dana 44 or 50 front spindle. Now you have spare front end parts on your trailer and no pumpkin to interfere.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Perhaps a fabricated axle, using spindles off a front axle would be a reasonable alternative. Just mount a pipe, with flats welded to the ends, machined to mate up to a Dana 44 or 50 front spindle. Now you have spare front end parts on your trailer and no pumpkin to interfere.

plus spindles would be much cheaper, actually the d50 spindles are the same bearings as the d60, they are just about 1/4" shorter IIRC.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus spindles would be much cheaper, actually the d50 spindles are the same bearings as the d60, they are just about 1/4" shorter IIRC.

That old JLM104949 shows up in a lot of places, don't it.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd much rather using a 10.25 hub than a D50/60 hub, the wheel bearings are much larger. For a utility axle, this won't really matter, but, for any kind of a HD trailer, I'd go with the 10.25, IIRC, the GAWR on a D60 is less than 6K lbs, and would kind of defeat the purpose of doing all that work.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the GAWR on a D60 is less than 6K lbs, and would kind of defeat the purpose of doing all that work.

Vehicle manufacturers tend to err way on the side of caution where GAWRs are concerned.

From what I have seen, everything about a Dana 60 is bigger than a store-bought 8K trailer axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent