03' 7.3l running very rough

Deadlifter

Reaction score
My '03 7.3 liter is running very rough. Its to the point that it will stall sometimes while idling.

Even while driving down the road it will start to jerk very rough like its running out of gas. Its got that same jerking while idling, sometimes it will stay running, sometimes it stalls. Then the check engine light pops up, but after a minute it goes away.

It only does this once in a while, but its been happening more frequently.

I took it to the dealer for a tranny flush and had them hook it up to the computer to see if they could find out the problem.

They came back with a few ICP errors that they cleared. The guy said it could be my ICP sensor going bad.

Im wondering if the sensor 'goes bad' or if it just quits working all together? Or do any of you think it would be more likely to be the injectors?

Its only got 95k on it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very well could be the ICP sensor going bad. Try unplugging the ICP and see how she idles. If it repeats your other experience then its a safe bet.

Deadlifter

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

WHere do I find the ICP sensor? Is there any diagrams on the net to show its location?

I really dont want to pay Ford however much money it will be to put it in. Bad enough the part is $170.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As in the picture above, its on the left (drivers side) head at the front. Just as an aside, when was the last oil change done and what grade of oil was used? Old/dirty oil or improper oil will give you similar symptoms.

Deadlifter

Reaction score
As in the picture above, its on the left (drivers side) head at the front. Just as an aside, when was the last oil change done and what grade of oil was used? Old/dirty oil or improper oil will give you similar symptoms.

This actually started a little while after my last oil change. I used Shell's Rotella brand, which was about a year old. that was about 1000 miles ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online