02 F350 No Start AGAIN! LOL

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a little help, some might remember the problems I had with my neighbors 02 F350 4x4 about 2 yrs ago, well now its back. This time it died goin down the road, they changed the CPS but it didnt help, and had it towed home. I have cranking rpm on the scanner, fuel, brand new batteries, and Injectors pass a buzz test.

They shot it with either on the road and it didnt even try to fire.

I have found DTC p0603, my manual says replace ECM, I dont think this truck has a programer.
Also fuses 6, 10, and 12 were blown. Replaced them and cleared codes, DTC came right back and still no start and fuses are still ok. I dont have an owners manual to see what these fuses are for.
Am I correct in suspecting an ECM on this one or do I need to get deeper with it?

RenoF250

Reaction score
Odd for it to not even try with ether. That is beyond the computers control. How many miles on this truck and what is the temp outside?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I thought too but I'm not the one who tried the either, It sounds like it has compression (dont free-spin) The truck has 250K and its around 70ish here during the day. I do know that the injectors need replaced, I did one 2yrs ago. I'm getting more in depth with it today, maybe unhook the GP's and intake heater and give it a shot and see what happens....

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it to fire on a shot of either (safely), it wont run though. It acts like its not getting fuel to run.
So far this is where I stand, unhook ICP sensor- no change. I have fuel pressure. I have cranking RPM on my scanner. Injectors pass buzz test. Checked oil in HPOP it was about 2 inches low, after cranking it was lower so I topped it off with a little over half qt and tried to start again, no start and the level didnt change much. The only DTC I have is the P0603.
I'm lost on this one, Why am I not getting fuel into the cylinders?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDM might be bad. Make sure you dont have a popped maxi-fuse under the hood.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eliminate a bad maxi-fuse, eliminate burnt UVCH, eliminate shorted fuel heater. The IDM will be your last suspect since you eliminated the CPS already.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Fuses were all good, UVCH ohmed out good, No start with heater unpluged. I guess its looking like the IDM, where is the best place to get a new one? What years will work if I can find a used one?
Does anyone have a spare that I can test in the truck?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
usually a bad IDM will not pass buzz test.
whats the ipr duty cycle, the hpop pressure and the mass fuel des when cranking

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually a bad IDM will not pass buzz test.
whats the ipr duty cycle, the hpop pressure and the mass fuel des when cranking

IPR duty cycle is 65% ICP pressure showing 15-19psi What should they be?

I thought it was wierd that they passed the buzz test too. I wish I had a Ford manual for this truck! :dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTEChecked oil in HPOP it was about 2 inches low, after cranking it was lower so I topped it off with a little over half qt and tried to start again, no start and the level didnt change much][/QUOTE]

That's strange that the oil level was that low. The HPOP reservoir is constantly replaced by the LPOP. HPOP pressure has to be at least 300-500 PSI for injector firing. Is the oil level in the pan OK.

Don't know if the 02 fuse layout is the same as a 99.5, but if the # 30 fuse (in Cab) is blown which is a 30 amp on the lower right hand corner, that power's the PCM, fuel heater and a number of other thing's. It could be the PCM relay #30 under the hood.

DTC code P0603 is (KAM power loss). That could have set with the blown fuses.

If you need to replace the fuel heater, get this one from an IH dealer. Just had to replace mine.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
ICP needs to be 500psi + to fire.
check for 12v to ipr.
either ya got a bad ipr, a bad hpop, or a massive oil leak (injector O ring) or bad or stuck injector.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oil level in pan is fine.
Fuses are alot different for the 02, I have a book for 99 its alot different.

Nick, I'll check for power at IPR I might go ahead and replace that first and see where that gets me, I told this guy 2 yrs ago that he was gonna need injectors and IPR soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789