ZF5 s42

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Anyone ever take a zf5 s42 diesel housing and put a zf5 s42 460 internals in it for the lower 1st /reverse and wide ratio?
I have a 95 s42 now but i dont think i will like it for starting out while towing w 4:10s and 35s

I just bought a spare s42 case and have access to a s42 460 trans

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Personally, i prefer the idea of getting a 7 speed ez shift ( 7 speed with synchros )and popping one of those in. You can bolt them right up with the proper SAE bellhousing.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I really want a ZF5 s47 but all i keep finding are s42-cuss.Trying to make something work with what i got. Getting closer to doing my engine swap

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds like you should just put a gearvendors in and you'll be set!

Gear vendors wont get you any lower gears, only higher.
For lower gears you either need to go for a commercial box with more gears, or pop a brownie in there , or find one of teh DN/US gear units that is setup as an underdrive

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have the S42 460 trans on my IDI, I don't see any issues with drilling the case - the guts of the ZF will fail with 500HP long before the case does....500HP in a diesel means big torque and that will kill a ZF IMHO.....As for the gearing, I love and hate the deep first gear....It's too low empty but nice when there is 3 tons in the box. Normal plowing it will be too slow but in deep snow it will be nice....I had the S47 trans in my 91 and 1st gear was a little too tall - somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have the S42 460 trans on my IDI, I don't see any issues with drilling the case - the guts of the ZF will fail with 500HP long before the case does....500HP in a diesel means big torque and that will kill a ZF IMHO.....As for the gearing, I love and hate the deep first gear....It's too low empty but nice when there is 3 tons in the box. Normal plowing it will be too slow but in deep snow it will be nice....I had the S47 trans in my 91 and 1st gear was a little too tall - somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Really? the s47 1st(5.08) was too tall? the 460 1st gear is 5.72 and the ZF5 S42 has a 4.14 1st which is pittiful

I want 1st gear so i can take off on a hill with out smoking the clutch. the truck will have 4:10s, 35" tires and be grossing out at approx 18k

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I can't say for sure what gear was in the 91, my mind tells me it was a S47 but maybe it was a 42....It was a long first gear - much longer than the 460 ZF I have now...It was almost too long...Meet me in the middle between that and the 460 trans - I would be happy. 20km/hr and I'm running out of fuel in 1st gear...:rolleyes:.....40km/h in 2nd gear and I'm tickling the governor again....70km/h in 3rd.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, with tall tires and high GVW, you will want the lowest 1st you can get. I will never understand why Ford put such a high first gear in these trucks :rolleyes: :dunno I'd think the 5.72 would be great.
Travis..