Zf5-S42=Zf5-S47?

jcksnghst

Reaction score
Second owner of a 1992 7.3idi 4x4

So.... Long story short:
Perfect running truck. No problems whatsoever.

The case busted on the zf542 and i bought a zf547 case.
Joined them together.
Reinstalled.
Now there's a horrendous whine in every forward gear except 4th.

What could possibly be wrong.(think sarcasm, ugh)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like you're just going to have to pull it out and look at it. But make notes and keep us informed. I see that you're from "on the throne", if that's close to NW Florida I've got a T19 you can throw in there to hold you over until you figure it out. And @Nero is probably jealous of your trucks factory cup holders that might hold a drink.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check gear lash. Changing the case I think changes the play in the shafts. Not certain though.
I agree with this especially since you say it is in every gear except 4th. It has been a while since I have been into a zf5 but I'm thinking possibly 4th is straight through the main shaft. So possibly not enough preload on the bearings is pushing the main and counter shaft apart in all the other gears.

James

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone mixing tailhousings and bellhousings between an s5-42 and s5-47. I thought the shafts were different lengths between the two transmissions.

I did swap bellhousings on my s5-42, and like Nero said I had to adjust shims under the input shaft bearing race to get proper preload. I would be really curious whether you can make the Frankenstein zf-5 work, hopefully you just need some shim adjustment! Since the noise is in everything but 4th, I would make sure the countershaft is the same part number between the 42 and 47.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're on Facebook, there is a "Strictly ZF5" group that is solely for that transmission. I've seen the question pop on there a few times. I believe there is an input shaft difference. Not a FB fan, but I made a fake account for access to groups like that

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever the damage it should be contained to the transmission. They can still be found in the salvage yards, it's just getting harder.

Hopefully it's just a bearing shimming issue.

James