ZF transmission temp. sender location/tips?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are drilling in to the pto cover not the case.
what i would do is drain the oil then take off one of the little side plates. i would drill a hole in that and weld a bung with the 1/8th NPT onto that.

Yep, I'm thinking that'll work. I figured if I could buy one premade it'd save on time, but I'd rather drill a hole and weld a bung than spend $70 on a premade plate.

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seemed high to me to but the pic that they sent me is a kit (pto plate, trans gauage and bolts) I'm going to call them tomorrow and get the real price.

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at them in the shop that worked on them. They came from a co op phone co. in TX. They pull two back holes on a 40ft goose neck..

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you need to worry about one on a Manual trans, am i missing something ? I thought trans temp was just an automatic thing ?

Last edited:

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK the ''kit'' is 95.00 for the pto cover, gasket, bolts and trans gauge w/tubing and such w/shipping. That's 47.50 per part

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still running a DMF set-up.

Not 100% sure on that, earlier this year RJ (lotzagoodstuff) asked me if I'd put a SMF in it because of the noise it makes. He was sure it has one.

It may, but I'm wanting to keep on eye on the temps just in case.

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well get under it and pull the cover off. If the fly wheel has springs in it like a clutch plate then it's a DMF

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Kyle its probably like a rear diff. Even under heavy hauling it probably wont get hot enough to cause problems, but if you use the truck for severe use its probably a good thing to have to warn you of impending doom

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Why would you need to worry about one on a Manual trans, am i missing something ? I thought trans temp was just an automatic thing ?

Anything that moves generates heat, The ZF uses (or is suppose to use) ATF so the fluid will begin to break down at the same temperature as it would in an auto, when it breaks down it doesn't lubricate as well. Plus if you have a bad bearing it will generate more heat, so if your tranny is running hotter than usual you know something is going on. Basically the same reason that semi's generally have a differential temp gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online

Members online