ZF-5 PTO

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isnt specifically about an IDI, but this is the place that gets the most action in this forum. So here we go...

My buddy has a 92 F-Superduty IDI with the zf-5 and a PTO, he is getting rid of the truck and I would kind-of like to have the PTO unit.

My question is, if I take the PTO off of his, and remove one of my side covers on my trans, is it good to go right on or is there something you have to do first.

I told him I would do the swap, but If i cant swap it onto mine right away, I would have to find a side cover for his so he can sell the truck. Hopefully it can be swapped directly to mine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
direct swapover.
there is one catch for you is if you don't want to pull the PTO again, drop by the local truck parts house and get a quantity of gaskets to shim up the lash between the PTO and countershaft. you should have ten thou of play to keep the gear from getting eaten up.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal, Thanks alot Towcat, if someone would know it would be you!

I was hoping there wasnt some setup or something to make it work. There wouldnt be a difference in the two different ZF's would there, even though I am assuming mine and his are the same.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal, Thanks alot Towcat, if someone would know it would be you!

I was hoping there wasnt some setup or something to make it work. There wouldnt be a difference in the two different ZF's would there, even though I am assuming mine and his are the same.
both are diesel zf's right?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn...why can't I get a free ZF PTO... LOL

Good score man...good score...WTG!!!!!!!

Calvin, do tell more about this 0.010" backlash please and setting it so when I do find one I don't eat my trans or PTO

TY

Al

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn...why can't I get a free ZF PTO... LOL

Good score man...good score...WTG!!!!!!!

Calvin, do tell more about this 0.010" backlash please and setting it so when I do find one I don't eat my trans or PTO

TY

Al

It pry wont be free, pry $100 and Ill do the work to swap.

And yes, Calvin, how do you go about checking it?

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a zf pto with a pump if anyone wants it. Not free but ill sell it cheap. Pm me if interested

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calvin, are you sure it's the same even though his should be a -47 and the donor is a -42? I was looking at the Chelsea catalog trying to figure out the same question and it looked like the -47 had a slightly different gear setup than the -42.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
direct swapover.
there is one catch for you is if you don't want to pull the PTO again, drop by the local truck parts house and get a quantity of gaskets to shim up the lash between the PTO and countershaft. you should have ten thou of play to keep the gear from getting eaten up.
Well son of a gun. I bet that's what killed my last zf.
It was leaking around the pto flange, so I just torqued it down. That is when it did start getting noisier. If only I would've known...

Oh well.
As everyone else, I'd like to hear more about setting it right.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am assuming you would use a dial indicator, but what do you set it up on?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fulton Illinois: where is that close to? I might know a Parker guy who can get you an installation manual.......

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calvin, are you sure it's the same even though his should be a -47 and the donor is a -42? I was looking at the Chelsea catalog trying to figure out the same question and it looked like the -47 had a slightly different gear setup than the -42.

I too would like to know if they are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online