Yet another heads thread

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I just got off the phone with the big guy himself Justin, and here's what he suggested.

For a turboed idi, if no head studs, 80cc pump and stock injectors.

If I get the head studs done, I can go up to a 90cc pump, stage 1 injectors, and wire the waste gate shut.

He did also say, while the heads are off, absolutely do the comp springs. He did say there is absolutely no truth to requiring an upgraded cam with the comp springs, and as long as the rollers are in good shape they can be reused too. He didn't mention anything about the rockers.

He also threw in, just in case someone comes across this in the future, head studs more than double the reliability and lifespan of the engines.

Guess I need to finish cleaning my garage up so I can get started on this soon. I definitely am not looking forward to the work.

Edit;

Just did the math, just in parts looks like I'd be about $2780 for charge air cooler kit, 90cc pump, stage 1 injectors, and the modified head gaskets. Guess I better start ordering things.

I think I'm just going to ship my heads to Justin to check out and do the springs. While I can do it, I am very rusty on checking out guides and lapping valves, I'll leave it to the pros. No idea what his head work costs.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I fired off an email to him to get a quote for the head work, and started ordering parts. Once the 90cc pump and stage 1 injectors are available I'll order them up too.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long project, mostly waiting on parts.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got the CDD head gaskets on their way, luckily I setup email notifications when they became available, so I got one.
Still waiting on the charge air cooler kit to come in.
Still need to order the 90cc injection pump and stage 1 injectors from R&D
Monday I'll be giving them a call for a quote to do the head work, eta, and see if there's anything else I should do while the heads are off. I tried firing off an email to them earlier in the week, I guess either the site email thing doesn't work, or he's just that busy.

I just pulled the camper off the truck, and parked 'er in front of the garage. She'll be sitting there until it's all back together.

Now to finish cleaning my garage so I can cleanly organize all the parts...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
My problem is I do so many car projects, and never put my tools away, just kinda scoop them into buckets and boxes, so I spend a lot of time putting those away, throwing boxes out, throwing spare used parts away... Playing with things once lost.. Lol

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem is I do so many car projects, and never put my tools away, just kinda scoop them into buckets and boxes, so I spend a lot of time putting those away, throwing boxes out, throwing spare used parts away... Playing with things once lost.. Lol
I still have tools and parts scattered around the shop from my engine swap… I need to get that all cleaned up! Most of my tools are in my trucks, with the current majority in my service truck, but there’s still a bunch in my shop. Every time I go to clean it up, I find something, then get an idea, then start working on my truck, or whatever else, adding to the mess. By the time I realize my idea was futile, or completed the project, it is too late to keep cleaning the shop…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I still have tools and parts scattered around the shop from my engine swap… I need to get that all cleaned up! Most of my tools are in my trucks, with the current majority in my service truck, but there’s still a bunch in my shop. Every time I go to clean it up, I find something, then get an idea, then start working on my truck, or whatever else, adding to the mess. By the time I realize my idea was futile, or completed the project, it is too late to keep cleaning the shop…
And you spend a lot of time driving around to different states for work. ;Poke

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you spend a lot of time driving around to different states for work. ;Poke
I used to have to travel for work. I took a job with the city about 10 years ago so now I get to play with my toys more often and spend time with my bride. My shop is still a train wreck though. I should have went larger when I built it... much larger. :idiot:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I completely understand that. I'm starting to think that the 14x20 addition that I just put onto my garage isn't big enough. I'll be able to tell better later, after the mud around it dries up and I can start rearranging things inside it better than they are now.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with 40×60 and it didn't take long to fill it up. Sadly, I have enough property to go larger but my wife isn't too agreeable with that idea anymore. Missed opportunities. :frustrate

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The next time, I'll need to build something behind my house. The reason I bought my garage, which is in another town 15 miles away, in the first place was because there's no outside storage of any kind at my house.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next time, I'll need to build something behind my house. The reason I bought my garage, which is in another town 15 miles away, in the first place was because there's no outside storage of any kind at my house.
I did that for a lot of years before I built my shop, had my stuff at a friend's shop about 20 miles away. He loved it, but it felt like palimony and all I got was visitation rights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel