Would you rebuild this starter?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this starter is for another brand of vehicle, but its very similar to an IDI. It is shot, so shot in fact that when the guy at the auto parts store hooked it up, it blew a breaker and the radio in the store went off.

I opened it up and it looks rough to me. Is it worth trying to rebuild or would it be better to just spend $110 for a brand new, not rebuilt, unit? I have never rebuilt one, but like to do things myself and the rebuild kit is only about $30 and I've found a few good tutorials. What scares me about this one is that it will probably cost $20 in parts cleaner to get all the grease off it, and its fairly corroded inside.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rebuilding this starter is more than replacing parts. That area the brushes ride on will have to be cleaned up by spinning it in a lathe. Then cleaning out the areas between the copper. Make sure the copper commutater is smooth and clean. Ifs its not the brush pack wears out fast. Some lite sand blasting will clean up the brush pack holders too.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As bad as that looks I'm not sure it's worth even trying to rebuild. I've replaced brushes before when everything else looked good, but that looks like a gunky worn mess. Definitely would need to turn the commutator and clean the grooves. Also got to think about worn bearings, gears, solenoid, etc.

Then there's the trust factor - you rebuild it but would you trust it to work? It sucks when you go to all the trouble of swapping a stater and the "rebuilt" one you put it dies. Even more of a pain when it leaves you stuck somewhere.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naw. Its tore up from the floor up. If it put the store in the dark its going to need more than brushes. Prolly got a shorted field and your going to have to canabalize another one to get a winding. Turn it in as a core and let the rebuilder deal with it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What's that off of?
At first glance, looked like a PSD starter.
Even if the field windings are bare/shorted, liquid tape fixes that pretty quick.

After doing mine, I wouldn't hesitate to do another. (Still need to put together that write up on it)

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing mine, I wouldn't hesitate to do another. (Still need to put together that write up on it)

You're doin better than me.... when I tried rebuilding one recently (off my 524td, not the idi, but similar) it wound up having to come back off 3 times now -cuss...... think I would have better off just buying the reman.:rolleyes:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I should've knocked on wood when I said that.

The solenoid was messing up on mine earlier. (But I drove through some real deap water, up to the front bumper. So I'm thinking it just got wet.) But it did say China on it. So I'm carrying the old one with me incase I have to fix it on the side of the road.