With an inspection looming

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of anything I might need to do before my first state inspection with the old diesel beast. First time it will have happened under my watch. I have two guys I take things to, one doesn't care about lights or add on things at all as long as the vehicle is structurally sound and one cares if add on items are legal here in pa (made me temporarily put black covers on my light bar on the brush guard) but the truck could be falling apart and he doesn't care.

The only thing I've came up with so far is I have a small exhaust leak coming from the bottom of the muffler where the pipe is coming out of the muffler. Might be able to patch it somehow but also considering a new muffler. Would like to just cut the whole thing out of the equation but I'm not sure on the legalese of the muffler world on diesels in pa. I know plenty of people with gassers with no cats and some pretty rough vehicles and I'm not sure how they even get them inspected but that's besides the point.

Just wondering what the best exhaust option would be and if anyone has some insight that also lives into pa as to what the rules actually are on this Google has given me mixed answers. I see some diesel setups with stacks around here that have 0 muffler, and I don't want stacks but seeing all the air that comes out of this thing I'd definitely like to cut the muffler out of the equation or at least get the least restrictive muffler I can.

No offense if you have stacks, we just have a lot of people in western pa around me in the sticks who if your a guy in your 20's with stacks and a diesel you're attributed to a dbag without just cause. Stupid, but a lot of the idiots around here do serve the unjust association well unfortunately.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the inspector is all. I take the wife's car to one garage because I know he looks at everything but I've had my truck "inspected" with out it ever driving to the shop. Just handed him the papers and walked out with my new sticker because he knows that I know what's legal and safe.

But anyway, legally a turbo diesel does not need a muffler because the turbo is a noise suppressant as per the Pa inspection manual.

I've ran the dyna flow full system on my old crew cab and was happy with the fit and quality. If I recall it was about 450 and was Y pipe to tail pipe and all the factory hangers lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get anything that you can see thru from the inlet to the outlet.
Should be fine. Quality varies with price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online