Winter Blend Fuel

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
do your math his way and you will be way better than 20.

I have a VERY hard time believing and excursion on 35s gets 20.

I would have to agree also. I have a 6.0PSD Excursion that is 100% BONE STOCK. I am running stock sized tires ~31.5" (265/75R16). No lift, no tuner. It is just like it was when it rolled off the assembly line in Kentucky. I have seen 20mpg, but that was in July, on summer fuel, and had been summer fuel for a while, truck only, 3 passengers, and 1 nights worth of luggage and I averaged ~20 for that trip, but it was all interstate, with the A/C on.

So, a jacked up, tuned, big tired EX.... I have to :bs.... The lie-o-meter may say he is getting that.... I know on mine, the lie-o-meter is correct, I have verified by hand calculations (but I am all stock), once you modify the truck, the lie-o-meter is just that... a lie-o-meter..... that is what it "thinks" if is getting......

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
A person has to remember that winter time also brings longer warm up times, it takes alot of energy to warm up the drivetrains on these trucks, which = fuel wasted. There also tends to be alot more idle time which also wastes fuel....

I notice a difference in the winter with my gassers also. They also get lower mileage in the winter. Same reasons, the winter mix of gas is different, and the idle time to warm up. Even when my car was parked in the garage (different car, won't fit until a do a major reorganization in the garage, car is to long) and I was not letting it idle to warm up, (garage is climate controlled) I still had lower mileage in the winter.....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at work today there was a guy that came in with a 2005 6.0L and he said that he is getting about 20mpg. it is an excursion, lifted, 35" mud tires, 4" straight piped exhaust, and a tuner.

he's likely getting much much closer to half that with such a setup.seriously.
i think people like to exaggerate their FE after killing their stock setups, simply because it makes them feel better about spending around 75 grand worth of fuel during their ownership duration.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hows your trans temps? i put a t-stat inline so she gets up to at least 150 in the winter.
swapping to synthetic gear lube helps too.
also don't forget to keep a real close eye on tire pressure.as the temps fall,tires lose pressure.all adds up.
don't idle.start her up,insure oil pressure and just drive.diesel's don't produce much for heat idling.she'll warm up WAY faster if you just get going.
you can also ditch that economy killing fan clutch in the winter if your not towing.
i never had a working one,but i hear a correctly functioning one,locks up during cold starts.ouch.

oh,don't forget about a grill cover! make your own with cardboard or whatever.block off some radiator is your goal.
i don't drive much,and hardly record FE on winter fuel,because im pretty much always plowing on these tanks,so it would just be a waste of effort.
but iv got a few:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=5088

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
hows your trans temps? i put a t-stat inline so she gets up to at least 150 in the winter.
swapping to synthetic gear lube helps too.
also don't forget to keep a real close eye on tire pressure.as the temps fall,tires lose pressure.all adds up.
don't idle.start her up,insure oil pressure and just drive.diesel's don't produce much for heat idling.she'll warm up WAY faster if you just get going.
you can also ditch that economy killing fan clutch in the winter if your not towing.

no idea on the trans temps, no gauge for that yet.
at the end of last summer i put all the tires at 80psi. i have not checked them lately. what would be best pressure? a guy at work said that for the health of the tires i should run them around 65psi unless i was towing or hauling.

so i should just get in it turn the key and go? i thought it was "best" to let them warm up until the high idle/cold advance kicked off.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
total waste of energy imho.if she's got pressure,then im gone.im not paying for fuel to get me no where fast.all that idle time puts your FE into the negative.i just baby her out of town @ the local 25mph speed limit,then go 35mph in the 45mph zones for 2-miles,then i go 45mph speed limit once she's blowing warm,and the E40D is up to temp enough to finally lock up the converter.

you should be running max tire pressure for max FE.only reduce pressure if you see the centers are waring.mine don't.i think the trucks just too heavy to ware the centers of tires.check tire pressure at least once a week in the winter.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
total waste of energy imho.if she's got pressure,then im gone.im not paying for fuel to get me no where fast.all that idle time puts your FE into the negative.i just baby her out of town @ the local 25mph speed limit,then go 35mph in the 45mph zones for 2-miles,then i go 45mph speed limit once she's blowing warm,and the E40D is up to temp enough to finally lock up the converter.

you should be running max tire pressure for max FE.only reduce pressure if you see the centers are waring.mine don't.i think the trucks just too heavy to ware the centers of tires.check tire pressure at least once a week in the winter.

thanks for the info.
i would baby it but at my house i got 55mph right off the bat. leaving from school i got 45. leaving from work is not bad. i always catch a stop light right after leaving work. damn stop lights anyways.:rotflmao

it would be nice to be able to leave work when everybody else does, not 10-15 minutes later.

i will go check my tires now.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
all of the tires were at 75psi. i bumped them up to 80psi.

i seem to have a lot of break dust on the outsides of the front wheels. mpg killer there. i don't know if it is to much dust though. everything on the front brakes is new.

I NEED AN ALIGNMENT two years ago when i got the truck it had two brand new tires on the front. now they have some BAD tread feather on them.

no sense in getting an alignment right now though since i need do at least tie rods. can't align sloppy steering components.LOL i wanted to wait until it got warmer to do the tie rods but i might have to do them sooner rather than later if i don't want to buy two tires(I don'tLOL)