Which turbo do I have?

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Oh, sweet. I think i'll eventually go cowl induction, but for now, i'm not worried. A louder whistle and drop in EGT's is enough of a reason to spend saturday morning and $50 on pipe and a filter.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did (sorry, no pics) was as follows.

In order from the great outdoors to turbo:

Hypermax cowl induction, mounted as per instructions
This: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035GS6RU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A piece of 3-1/2" 16 gauge aluminum pipe welded to the outlet of the above, on the right angle so as to match the next item
A 3-1/2" to 2-3/4"(i believe) silicone 90 degree reducer elbow

Whistles like crazy!

I also built a catch can out of aluminum that mounts directly to the timing cover, is full of steel wool with 1/4" perforated stainless on each end so bits of steel wool can't escape as easily, and has a 1" clear hose running to the aluminum pipe post-filter/pre-turbo.

I like it if I do say so myself.....................................

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Is the inline airbox better than an open filter? Such as a K&N cone? The autoparts store down the hill has the K&N's, but I could order in one of the inlines. Thanks for sharing the build on that. I know that'll save me time!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is with an open filter is a lot of guys like to draw in cool outside air as opposed to the hotter air that exists under the hood.

OBN Member Sycostang67 is the guy that really could help you out. I PM'd him and he gave me details, part numbers, pics and all kinds of info on this mod.

Sycostang67, if you see this, Thanks again!!!

Jjona5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like his is boosting good.
Does look like a older truck.
Like to see what's going on with those batteries also.
And is that the tall narrow radiator?
I like that catch can.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

There was a tall narrow radiator available? What did it come in? That would make my engine swap much easier as the radiator is a little too wide for my 78...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Sounds like his is boosting good.
Does look like a older truck.
Like to see what's going on with those batteries also.
And is that the tall narrow radiator?
I like that catch can.

Based on that image above I'm thinking it's a 70's ERA truck, based on rad support LH inner fender and such that massive HVAC and the cowel and radiator as well...all telltale signs of a 70's era truck like a dent side.

best guess...78/79 series

There was a tall narrow radiator available? What did it come in? That would make my engine swap much easier as the radiator is a little too wide for my 78...

Yes yes there was, and as I said that picture looks more like a 70's than 80's era...correct me if I'm wrong..but i don't think I am.. ;)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been throwing around the idea of building a box (tube more like it)undernath my custom hood, and using the same type of filter im running now to breath through the cowl hood i made.
the skin i put on, will allow for the extra room.
kinda like a ram air hood

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been throwing around the idea of building a box (tube more like it)undernath my custom hood, and using the same type of filter im running now to breath through the cowl hood i made.
the skin i put on, will allow for the extra room.
kinda like a ram air hood
Same exact idea I am currently working on.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone's interested, you might check out this link.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ade-catch-can-and-intake&highlight=air+intake

I did a very similar setup, with the exception that I welded my pipe to the airbox, and made an aluminum mounting bracket to mount the airbox to the two holes in the intake manifold. I also used 3.5" od as opposed to 3" FWIW. What's really slick about this setup is the Hypermax cowl induction tube slips right onto the end of the filter box, no clamps needed.

Enjoy.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run plenty of the 088 and 085 kits, and with fuel turned up and not too much timing 10 psi at 2k is not an issue.

This is pulling a trailer though, but boost is still plenty responsive with unloaded truck.

DAVID85 I dont think the "wall" you are feeling has anything to do with the turbo......just remembered, your turbo isnt stock, is it?

Yes, I have a larger compressor side. I am able to touch 10 PSI but there is too much smoke for my taste and I limit myself to 7 usually. The system will have to be partially dismantled for my upcoming camshaft swap so I'll look further into it when the time comes. However even with the stock compressor side, the performance was not impressive.

I'm curious though. Do you have a 6.9 or 7.3?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a pic of your hood?
Have the cowl built and ready to get welded to the hood, fabbed up the air box and 4" tubing: just waiting for a chance to pull the hood off.
Don't have anything worth showing........yet.
I'll start a thread once I get it all thrown together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat