Which turbo do I have?

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm curious as to how I would tell which ATS turbo my truck has? Wanting to find out if its wastegated, or not, and which series it is. I'm new to diesels, but have been working on gas engines for a while, but i've never played with turbos on a gasser. My airfilter box looks like this
You must be registered for see images attach
Dont know if that helps. This is a picture I got off the internet, as my phone takes horrible pictures in the dark. I can post actual pictures of my turbo tomorrow. I can answer any other questions that could help. Thanks guys!

Black dawg

Reaction score
if your exhaust housing is like the one in the picture, it is an 088. the 085 downpipe is cast seperately from the exhaust housing.

cubinzkid

Reaction score
It looks like the one in the picture. And, I don't think its wastegated. I don't build boost until i'm up in the higher RPM (2000-up) and even then I barely reach 10 PSI at redline under load.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is about the 4th turbo setup I've seen like this - I have one too.
Appears to be a 088 kit, but with the 085 air box.
I'm thinking maybe when ATS first came out with the 088 kit, they used the older 085 air box?
10 psi sounds about right; if you want to hear the turbo whistle, throw that airbbox in the scrap pile and fab up a cold air intake for it. Makes a huge difference in the sound.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. 088 with 085 airbox. Same setup I have. Over all not a great system from my experience. Its better than nothing, but mine hits a wall somewhere near 8 PSI. 5 PSI is where its happy but don't expect to see anything smoke free below 2000 RPM.

.....wait...is that a 70s ford in that photo?? Nice! (SQUIRREL!!!LOL)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like his is boosting good.
Does look like a older truck.
Like to see what's going on with those batteries also.
And is that the tall narrow radiator?
I like that catch can.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have run plenty of the 088 and 085 kits, and with fuel turned up and not too much timing 10 psi at 2k is not an issue.

This is pulling a trailer though, but boost is still plenty responsive with unloaded truck.

DAVID85 I dont think the "wall" you are feeling has anything to do with the turbo......just remembered, your turbo isnt stock, is it?

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what turbo this is? supposedly stock ATS on a 94 7.3

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's an ATS and has a wastegate....it's an 093....so say the OBN knowledge kings Gary and Al.....

Looks identical to the one on my truck with the exception that mine has the full 3" dia exhaust housing with the slip-fit downpipe as opposed to the clamp seen in the picture.....oh yeah different intake system too lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's an ATS and has a wastegate....it's an 093....so say the OBN knowledge kings Gary and Al.....

Looks identical to the one on my truck with the exception that mine has the full 3" dia exhaust housing with the slip-fit downpipe as opposed to the clamp seen in the picture.....oh yeah different intake system too lol

thanks! yea mine is a 2.5" exhaust housing and is wastegated.
my intake system is hokey... i know lol i did what i did with what i had,,,
its actually stolen parts from the hotrod (notsohotrod) honda my brother left here 5 years ago
he was pretty upset when i showed him this picture... i told him he could have it back when im done with it.haha

STORAGE FEE!

cubinzkid

Reaction score
bike-maker, do you by chance have a picture of your intake? Trying to figure out how to do one, and the thought of a louder whistle doesn't sound to bad.. Literally. What kind of setup is yours? Filter, tubing..

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a half assed mess right now.
I'm in the middle of making a new one out of metal that is a cowl induction setup.
I used a AFE filter on a handful of 3" ABS fittings, relocated the washer fluid reservoir, and had the filter sitting right behind the driver's side battery.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm curious as to how I would tell which ATS turbo my truck has? Wanting to find out if its wastegated, or not, and which series it is. I'm new to diesels, but have been working on gas engines for a while, but i've never played with turbos on a gasser. My airfilter box looks like this
Dont know if that helps. This is a picture I got off the internet, as my phone takes horrible pictures in the dark. I can post actual pictures of my turbo tomorrow. I can answer any other questions that could help. Thanks guys!

^^^^ YOU HAVE either an 085/088 non waste gated model for sure!

can anyone tell me what turbo this is? supposedly stock ATS on a 94 7.3

^^^^ YOU HAVE what appears to be an 093 either aftermarket or factory, IT IS A WASTE GATED model.

JM2CW